The Northern Virginia Science Center Foundation, which operates the Children's Science Center Lab at the Fair Oaks Mall, has created an internship program that focuses on developing youth who will become the region's future workforce in the long-term and contribute to educating the community now. Since 2015, the Children's Science Center's Youth Development Inititative has engaged over 200 high school and college-aged youth as interns in the Lab and community outreach programs.
The STEM Camp Internship Program supports the Children's Science Center Lab with our in-person summer camps. Interns will report to the Camp Manager. Interns are required to commit to 4 consecutive weeks of camp. Interns will:
- Lead camp games and activites
- Assist in activity set up and preparation
- Practice classroom behavioral management
- Ensure student safety
- Have the opportunity to create their own hands-on STEM activities for students
COVID-19 NOTICE: The Children's Science Center Lab is planning to run in-person camps on weekdays only, with updated cleaning procedures, increased ventilation, and mask-wearing policies. While the Children's Science Center Lab staff will be vaccinated, campers may not be. STEM Camp Interns must be fully vaccinated by the orientation day to be eligible to participate in the internship program. As CDC guidelines change, we will update our procedures, accordingly, including cancelling camps if necessary.
- Prior experience volunteering with the Children's Science Center Lab preferred
- Demonstrated interest in elementary education, STEM subjects, and/or informal education
- Learn and be able to communicate the mission and vision of the Children's Science Center Lab
- Comfortable interacting with children in person
- Experience working closely with school-aged children
- Ability to maintain safe and positive classroom environment
- Energetic and postitive team player
- Excellent communication skills
All applicants must:
- Be 16 years or older by orientation date
- Be able to provide their own transportation
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by orientation date
- Complete a minimum of 4 consecutive weeks of camp
This internship is unpaid. Contact hours can be used to meet volunteer hour requirement for school and/or extracurricular involvement.