Diversity & Inclusion Position Statement
The mission of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is to promote the highest standards of friendship, scholarship and service for our members throughout life. As such, it is critical for our members to be active, thoughtful and informed citizens in society.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon seeks to ensure that our members understand that diversity, in its many forms, is understood, respected, and valued. Furthermore, we seek to ensure that the diversity of our membership is inclusive in our discussions, thoughts, and operations as an organization. It is not by diversity alone, but by inclusivity, that the true strength of diversity within an organization can be achieved.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon has adopted the following definitions for the organization:
- Diversity is the range of human differences, including but not limited to, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, social class, physical ability or attributes, cognitive abilities, religious or ethical values system, national origin, and political beliefs.
- Inclusion is involvement and empowerment, where the inherent worth and dignity of all people are recognized. An inclusive fraternity promotes and sustains a sense of belonging; it values and practices respect for the talents, beliefs, abilities, backgrounds, and ways of living of its members.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon seeks to ensure that:
- Diversity and inclusion are strongly advocated for our members and supported by our Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Committee;
- Equity, inclusion, and diversity be introduced into the systems, structures, and culture of the Fraternity;
- Expertise and leadership is provided on equity, inclusion, and diversity related matters;
- Policies are developed to further improve the fraternity climate; and
- Resources and direction for infusing equity, inclusion, and diversity into various educational programs are provided.
The vision for equity, inclusion, and diversity in Sigma Alpha Epsilon is that the Fraternity will model the way in integrating equity, inclusion, and diversity practices, policies, and discussions in the interfraternal world.
What is a bias incident?
A bias incident is any physical or verbally harmful act that is motivated by (or appears to be motivated by, in whole or in part) any of the following factors: race/ethnicity, religion, national origin/immigration/citizenship status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, economic status, language, age, size, pregnancy or family/marital status, disability, veteran or military status.
A bias incident is not always a violation of criminal law. Examples include mocking, degrading, threatening, intimidating, harassing or using discriminatory language.
What happens with a bias incident is reported?
- A review of the report submitted will be conducted by the Eminent Supreme Recorder (ESR) or his designee.
- The ESR, or his designee, will reach out to the individual(s) who completed the bias reporting form.
- The ESR, or his designee, will determine appropriate follow-up actions.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon will take all necessary steps possible to ensure your privacy, but we cannot guarantee confidentiality. Sigma Alpha Epsilon may be required to report or escalate incidents, especially in the case of a violation of criminal law.
The ESR, or his designee, will do their best to address all reported incidents; however, the ability to respond to incidents will depend on certain factors including but not limited to the recency of the incident and/or if people involved are current members.