The purpose of this policy is to help employees and volunteers, including board members,
understand their roles and responsibilities in P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center’s implementation of communication technology, including but not limited to:
- social networking sites
- personal networking sitesblogs and microblogs
- message boards and chat rooms
- podcasts and webinars
- video sharing sites
- texting and instant messaging, etc
Scope of Policy:
P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center recognizes that employees and volunteers may engage in communication while on and off duty as appropriate for performance of their duties and/or for the advance of our organizational mission. This policy applies to social media content – written, verbal and images - on the P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center social media, (Facebook and other media) as well as information you post on your personal site(s) or on someone else’s site on the Internet.
Employees and volunteers who engage in blogging or posting should be mindful that their comments, even if done off premises and while off-duty, could have an adverse effect on P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center’s legitimate business interests, organizational mission and animal privacy interests.
In addition, some readers may view you as a de facto spokesperson for P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center. P.A.W.S. depends on strong community support and good will. Our reputation is a valuable and important organization asset. Please consider whether you are potentially damaging our reputation before you post on any site, especially if/when you identify yourselves as an employee or volunteer of P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center. If you are uncertain consult the Executive Director before posting online.
- Your blogging/posting is subject to all of the policies in our Employee and Volunteer Handbooks, including “Confidential Matters,” “Conflicts of Interests” and “Disciplinary Action, Dismissal and Rules of Conduct.”
- Do not post or reply on behalf of or as a representative of P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center.
- Do not create of share internet media communication that negatively impacts the P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center brand or reputation.
- Do not discredit, disparage, challenge or defame the mission, services, public policy positions, operational or animal status decisions of P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center.
- Do not reveal any confidential or proprietary information about P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center.
- Do not criticize individual staff or volunteer performance (by name, title or role.)
- Do not disclose the name or any personal identifying information of any staff or volunteer without his/her permission.
- Do not discuss the behavior, history or medical records of animals in our care and custody that are involved in criminal proceedings.
- Do not discuss the behavior, medical condition, behavioral status, adoption or euthanasia status of animals in our care, which could negatively impact the adoptability of that animal or of other animals in our care. Do not “lobby” for specific animals in our care in this public forum.
- Do not post information that adversely reinforces negative breed-specific stereotypes.
- Do obtain permission from the Executive Director prior to posting the P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center logo, trademark, proprietary graphics, and photographs of the shelter, events, employees, volunteers, staff or animals.
- Do create content or forward positive compelling content about animal rescue that builds support for the adoption of animals in our care, with permission of the Executive Director. Obtain permission before naming or referencing any animal in our care or before soliciting material of financial support for P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center.
- When commenting on policy issues for which there is no official P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center position statement, make it clear that you are speaking for yourself and not on behalf of the organization. Write in the first person and do not use your work email account.
- Support P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center position statements on issues and public policy/legislation, but do not represent the organization as a spokesperson in the traditional media or online media without permission from the Executive Director.
- Do not use social media for internal workplace communications, including but not limited to any disagreements or differences in the workplace.
- Do not create or share Internet media communication that violates any local, state, federal or international laws and regulations. This includes uploading, posting or e-mails that: impersonate/misrepresent, infringe on copyright laws, contain obscene or defamatory content, or forwarding unsolicited/unauthorized (spam, junk mail, chain letters), and knowingly creating of transmitting software viruses, works or other disabling codes.
- This Policy pertains to external communication and does not negate nor limit employee protection under P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center’s internal “Open Door” policy.
P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center will regularly monitor the content of all of its social media sites. P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center, at its sole discretion, may restrict, block, suspend, terminate, delete or discontinue any employee or volunteer access to P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center sponsored Internet media sites at any time, without notice, and delete postings.
Policy Administration and Interpretation:
The Executive Director will be responsible for administering and interpreting the guidelines and provisions of this policy. Any questions regarding the appropriate use of P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center sponsored social media sites or your personal social media (Facebook, etc.) should be directed to the Executive Director.
I hereby certify that I have read, understand and agree to abide by P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center’s policies as outlined above.