· Must have a minimum 2.0 GPA at the time of auditions (Current PV students only). All candidates, if chosen, must maintain that minimum for the duration of participation in Twirling Thunder. · Must be willing and able to alter hair styles as determined by the director. · Must not have been suspended from the University for any reason. · Exceptional skills as demonstrated through flag, rifle, sabre and movement. · Must consistently operate in the spirit of teamwork keeping a positive and motivational demeanor. · Must be organized and timely. Timeliness is required by the performer for rehearsals and performances. · High physical condition, performance ability and showmanship is a necessity. · Must be able to meet all financial obligations of being a member of Twirling Thunder.
• YEAR-LONG commitment (Fall AND Spring Semesters)
• Mandatory Marching Storm Rehearsals (Fall - Mon – Friday, 5:30pm-10pm; Spring – Wednesday 6-10 pm; unless otherwise noted by the Director of Bands)
• Mandatory performances and appearances • Must enroll in the PVAMU University Band course.
• Must notify the appropriate Marching Storm personnel, along with the Director of Bands, regarding any absences from rehearsals or performances. IMPORTANT: NOT ALL ABSENCES ARE EXCUSED. UNEXCUSED absences will affect your grade in Band. You must consult with the Director of Bands to determine if your absence is excused. Missing rehearsals or performances because of a job is NOT excused. It is NOT recommended that you have a job during football season.
• Zero tolerance for drugs, alcohol, and other inappropriate behavior, including on social media. This is cause for automatic dismissal. Refer to page 23,Section B of Student Code of Conduct (2011-2012)
• Zero tolerance for fighting and/or stealing. This is cause for automatic dismissal for all involved.
• Recognize and respect all authority figures in the band, Directors, drum majors, section leaders, etc. Insubordination to Twirling Thunder or Band section leaders, Drum Majors and Band Staff will not be tolerated and is cause for dismissal.
• Understand, no position is guaranteed. Auditions may be held every week (at the Director's discretion) to determine who will perform for that week’s game. All performers must still ensure their fees have been paid, as directed and attend every rehearsal, even if they are not cast for that week.
• All members of Twirling Thunder are held accountable to the same rules and regulations as Marching Storm members and are subject to the same consequences if they do not adhere to those rules. Twirling Thunder also has rules and guidelines specific to the Color Guard that must be adhered to. Violations of the established rules and regulations may also affect the performer’s ability to perform for the week’s game or other performances/appearances.
• The Twirling Thunder Color Guard does not believe in hazing and follows Prairie View A&M University’s anti-hazing policy. Hazing of any kind will not be tolerated. Refer to page 25,Section M of Student Code of Conduct (2011-2012).
• MUST ATTEND MANDATORY PVAMU Marching Storm Band CAMP in August prior to the beginning of the Fall Semester, and Marching Storm Spring Band Camp in April of the Spring semester.
• On trips, Twirling Thunder members must leave and return with the band unless excused by the Director of Bands. In order to be excused, an appropriate guardian must send an email to the Director of Bands requesting pick up from the band buses. This email must be submitted at least 24 hours prior to departure. This is a liability issue and applies to every member of the Marching Storm.
• Twirling Thunder members are responsible for the maintenance of assigned uniforms. This includes returning them at the appropriate time. Failure to turn in uniform(s) will result in adding the cost to your university billing statement.
• Because the image, exposure, and prestige of the Marching Storm and Twirling Thunder is nation-wide, we are strongly committed to personal appearance, conduct, poise, and projection at all times.
• All members are required to fill out a student health form and receive a physical in order to participate in any activities.
VIOLATION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE CONSTITUTES SEVERE DISCIPLINARY ACTION INCLUDING INDEFINITE SUSPENSION AND/OR TERMINATION FROM THE SQUAD
I have reviewed requirements for Twirling Thunder auditions and have reviewed all rules and regulations pertaining to membership in Twirling Thunder. I understand that receipt of these requirements, rules and regulations in NO WAY serves as a guarantee of membership in Twirling Thunder. I further understand that during the audition ALL judges decisions are final.
Please note there is a $25 application fee for Twirling Thunder. This fee must be paid prior to arriving for auditions. You may use the following link to make your payment:
Twirling Thunder Application Fee Payment Link
Please screenshot or make a copy of your confirmation page to bring with you on the first day. Fees may only be paid online.
If you are under the age of 18 you must also have your parents complete and sign a Medical Release Form. These forms will be emailed to you at a later date.
If you have any questions, please email Ms. Shawn Zachery at email@example.com.