A League of Their Own
Use the following form to submit your answers for this activity online. You will not need to send anything via email. If you rather download the lesson in .PDF and email your answers, follow the link on the lesson page.
1. 1. Why was there a need forprofessional women’s baseball during World War II?
2. 1. What is the “ideal” forthe All-American girl baseball player?
3. 1. What did the league managers want from their players, in terms of traditional feminine qualities, appearance or behavior?
4. Why did the league give this “guide” to its players?
5. Why does the Guide emphasize beauty and make-up?
6. Why do parts of this guide sound funny to us today?
7. Analyze the following scene: From Rosie O’Donnell and Madonna’s first appearance through the first league meeting: “Every girl in this league is going to be a lady.” What do you think is meant by this statement? Why arethe women upset with the uniform? What is a “charm school”?
8. During WWII women servedin their own branches of the military. What were the names of these all womenmilitary branches?
9. Look up online "Women and the WWII War Effort." What were some of the ways women contributed to the war effort?
10. Today, women no longer serve in separate branches of the servicebut serve right alongside the men. Look up online "Women in the 10thMountain Division." and view a couple of the videos. What are some of yourimpressions from watching the video?
11. Do you think women today should serve in their own branches of the military as they did during WWII? Why or why not?
Extension Assignment: Write a journal entry about your definition of today’s “All American girl.” What does an “All American girl” value in her life, and how does she go about meeting her goals?
FINAL COMMENTS - We hope that by completing this activity you have learned something new about the songs of WWII and about the songs familiar with the soldiers of the 10th Mountain Division. Please write some of your thoughts and comments in completing this activity.
Street Address Line 2
State / Province
Postal / Zip Code
Please enter a valid phone number.
Are you adescendant of a 10th Mountain Division soldier? If yes, what was his name and what unit was he in?.
Should be Empty: