Donations are not required, but welcomed. In order to keep this long lasting Ypsilanti tradition going we depend on the contributions of our community partners. If you are interested in donating please send check or money to:
American Legion Post 282
c/o 4th of July Parade
100 Ecorse Road
Ypsilanti MI, 48198
The American Legion Post 282 is a 501(c)(4) not for profit organization. Donations are not tax deductible. They could be considered a business expense. Please consult your tax advisor.
Parade Rules and Regulations
Rules of the Annual Ypsilanti Independence Day Parade
1. The parade Committee, according to the guidelines set forth in the policies and procedures of the parade, solely determines the acceptance of each unit. The Committee has the sole and final determination as to the overall consistency of the objectives of the parade. If the unit misrepresents the accepted description of the unit, it may be removed. Groups that are removed for any reason may be barred from future participation.
2. The units shall not change assigned line-up position without written approval of the parade committee. Failure to gain approval may result in removal from the parade and participation may be barred in future parades.
3. The units will be in their assigned lineup position no later than 10:30am on the day of the parade. Units in judged categories will cooperate with the parade judges and the media if the unit wishes to be judged for trophy.
4. Participants Running for Office or Currently Holding Office: Municipal, State and Federal officials will be placed in the lineup on a first response/first position assigned basis. Elected officials are generally positioned in the middle of the parade to accommodate participation in other parades. If the official’s unit reorders lineup position without permission, they may be removed from the parade and barred from future participation. Political parties are allowed. To make sure that the parade as an organization remains bias please do not campaign, All signs and handout materials can only state Candidates Names, Position Running for, and how to contact you.
Please contact Parade Committee with further questions
5. No items may be thrown from the unit. Units may have ‘walkers’ between the curbs distributing items, unit must hand them to parade attendee. Distribution along the sidewalks is also strongly encouraged. [This is a safety issue. Please consult the Committee for approval before you decide on “giveaways’.] . Participants caught doing this will be removed from the parade.
6. Common and good sense shall dictate the tone and management of the family and community based parade. The Committee shall have the sole and final approval of all activities related to the Parade in controlled area designated by and under the permit issues by the City of Ypsilanti.
7. Remember this is supposed to be a moment of community pride and unity please be kind! We will not tolerate any form of hate or discrimination. This is a parade for Everyone!