We are now accepting applications for 2024.
Scientific Exploration Society (SES) is a UK-based charity (No. 267410) founded in 1969 by Colonel John Blashford-Snell and colleagues. A non-profit making organisation, SES leads, funds and supports scientific discovery, research and conservation in remote parts of the world offering knowledge, education and community aid.
SES ENDORSED PROJECTS*
SES wishes to recognise high quality, innovative and pioneering scientific exploration by endorsing a number of projects annually.
We encourage applications from everyone including former SES Explorer Award winners.
Successful applications will match the aims and objectives of SES.
To promote, organise or support projects focused on scientific exploration in any of the fields of anthropology, archaeology, biodiversity, botany, economics, ecology, geography, geodesy, geology, geophysics, glaciology, psychology, history, human physiology, medicine, meteorology, sociology, topography and zoology. Projects will often take place in the more inaccessible and remote regions of the world and will aim to produce new scientific studies of the physical, social, economic, cultural, natural, environmental life of such regions or communities with the purpose of advancing knowledge of/research into, educational development, health and humanitarian support, medical aid and research or environmental, cultural, social awareness and support of those regions.
- Encourage future projects
- Inspire future project leaders
- Provide an opportunity for SES members to participate in a project
- Build awareness of global challenges such as climate change, endangered species, plastic pollution and similar
- Support research
- Promote sustainability
- Contribute to preserving the environment
- Post-project reports are produced, detailing the journey undertaken, and are disseminated to relevant organisations and via SES channels, helping to raise awareness of any issues raised.
- Article in the Society’s Scientific Explorer Annual Review (Members annual magazine)
- Opportunity to submit an article for SES digital magazine Exploration Revealed
- Prestigious SES Flag to take on the project
- One year’s SES Membership for project leaders
- Opportunity to raise project profile by giving an SES Explorer Talk
- Promotion via SES website, social media pages and newsletters
- Contact with an ever-expanding resource of project leaders, explorers, members, friends and volunteers
- Invitation to join our 'SES Members and Friends' Facebook group that holds regular video meetings and future workshops
- Associated benefits of being linked to the society
*SES members and all other participants in SES Endorsed Projects take part at their own risk, and will not hold SES, its trustees, employees, volunteers, partners or agents liable (whether in contract or in tort or in negligence or for breach of statutory duty or otherwise) for any loss (including but not limited to financial loss), criminal or reputational damage, personal injury, delay or expense suffered or incurred on any such expedition. SES endorses the aims and objectives of these projects only.