- If you are sponsoring a married person, you are expected to discuss the Walk with both husband and wife. It is strongly recommended both husband and wife apply at the same time (on a separate application) with the husband attending the Walk first. However, one or the other of them may need to wait to make the Walk to Emmaus until their spouse is more comfortable. Please encourage them in this decision. During the walk, please check on their spouse periodically.
- Your applicant will receive a confirmation that this application has been received by the registrar. Please let them know that this does not automatically mean that they will be accepted to the Walk. Both you and your pilgrim will receive notification prior to the Walk if they are accepted. If they are on a waiting list at that time, they will be contacted with an explanation of that procedure
- During the walk, we encourage minimal contact with your pilgrim —let them have space to make their own Walk.
- The most important thing you can do for your pilgrim is to pray for them daily.
- Please encourage them to ask any questions they may have. We want them to feel as comfortable as possible. The Walk to Emmaus is not a secret organization, but a community of believers growing in God’s grace and trying to live to serve Him. The “What is Emmaus?” video on the Upper Room website is designed to address questions and concerns people have about going on a Walk. We recommend that you make it available to your pilgrim.
- Be familiar with the Sponsor roles, by having watched the Sponsorship Video on our Emmaus Website as part of this applicataion process.