We are pleased you are interested in applying for either the 1-month or the 2-month retreats.
Open Enrollment Period: Applications are being accepted July 13 – August 31, 2022. Applications received after this date will be on a wait list for a second round of notifications if space is still available. It is very likely that scholarships will not be available for waitlisted applicants.
Applications will be reviewed by Spirit Rock staff and teachers after the open enrollment period closes. Notifications will be sent out by October 21. You will be notified whether you have been accepted into the retreat or placed on a waitlist.
Important Things to Know:
- Vaccination: All staff, teachers, and practitioners must be fully vaccinated + boosted with vaccines for COVID-19. At least one booster is required. If you have had no booster yet, that booster must be received no less than two weeks before the retreat. If you have had more than one booster, then you are all set! Proof of full vaccination (including 1 booster) will be required and you will not be admitted to the retreat if not "fully vaccinated." You will be required to upload proof of vaccination during this application process.
- COVID Safety Protocols: Please review the current safety protocols. COVID Safety protocols. Learn more.
- Room Occupancy: We have returned to double occupancy rooms. Approximately two thirds of our rooms are single occupancy (only 16 of 80 rooms are double occupancy). We have a "guaranteed single room" rate which is limited (5). This rate guarantees a single room while helping to support scholarships and all we do here at Spirit Rock. The remaining single rooms are not exclusive to the top end of the sliding scale; however, they are initially prioritized for those with serious medical conditions.
- Prerequisites: Applicants must meet the prerequisite BEFORE applying. Online retreat experience does not fulfill the prerequisite. And "future" attendance in a retreat, does not qualify.
- Photo Required: You will be asked to upload a photo of yourself ("selfie").
- Insight Retreat: Practitioners are expected to follow teacher’s instructions related to Vipassana (Insight Meditation).
- Special Consideration: We will prioritize BIPOC, Young Adults (age 18 - 32 yrs), and LGBTQIA+ applicants.
This application may take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete depending upon your situation and your preparation. Submit only ONE application.
To make the application process go more quickly, we recommend that you gather the necessary information to fill out the application prior to sitting down and filling it out.
Things like: a digital photo of yourself, a digital photo of your vaccination card (with booster), a list of your retreat experience (teachers, length [# of retreat nights] for each, what style of retreat [metta, concentration, if applicable], location & year of each retreat), provide emergency contact information, therapist name & contact, if applicable.
Prerequisites for One-Month Retreats (28-night retreat): BEFORE applying, you must have completed at least 14 nights of silent residential retreat time. This retreat time must include a minimum of two (2) silent residential retreats with each of these six (6) nights or longer.
Prerequisites for Two-Month Retreat (56-night retreat): BEFORE applying, you must have completed at least 21 nights of silent residential retreat time. This retreat time must include a minimum of three (3) silent residential retreats with each of these six (6) nights or longer.
Other Important Notes About Prerequisites: These retreats must have been led by Spirit Rock, IMS, or IRC teachers, or other recognized Insight Meditation teachers. Previous retreats must be silent residential retreats and have a similar format to this retreat, with instructions, practices and talks focused on Insight Meditation. Online retreats DO NOT qualify for these retreat prerequisites. DO NOT list retreats you will attend in the "future".
When applying, you will need to provide the teachers' names, dates, location, length (# of nights), and style of the retreats.