How to Choose the Best Interdental Cleaning Tool for your Patients
Presented by Heather Wong, RDH, MSDH
You must achieve a passing score of 80% on the ten content questions related to the course you just viewed. If you do not pass on the first try, you do have the opportunity to try again. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
1. Dental professionals should provide a universally recommended cleaning aid to all patients.
2. In the United States, approximately what percentage of adults aged 30 years and older have some form of gum disease?
3. According to the meta-analysis by Kotsakis (2018), what intraoral hygiene aids ranked highest for reducing gingival bleeding?
Floss and floss holders
Floss and water-jets
Interdental brushes and water-jets
Interdental brushes and floss
4. When using a water-jet with a standard tip on experimental teeth there was removal of 99.99% of biofilm at what psi and for how many seconds?
20 psi for 20 seconds
40 psi for 10 seconds
50 psi for 8 seconds
70 psi for 3 seconds
5. Interdental brushes are thought to be a superior method of interdental cleaning related to all the following reasons except:
High efficacy of plaque removal
High patient acceptance
Ease of use
High amount of technical skill needed
6. What factors must a dental professional consider when recommending an interdental aid?
Patient’s skill and dexterity
Patient’s motivation and preferences
Patient’s teeth anatomy and periodontal health
All of these choices must be considered.
7. Rubber bristle brushes show a reduction in inflammation.
8. When should you replace your interdental brush?
After one use
Once a month
After the bristles start to collapse
Every three months
9. When using an interdental brush, the bristles should fit snugly between the teeth, and the wire should not touch either adjacent tooth.
10. What are different aspects of an interdental brush that you should consider when choosing what to recommend to your patient?
Range of brush sizes
Amount of bristle coverage and distribution
Shape of brush
All of the above
Type a question
6 Evaluation Questions
No wrong answers!
1. Course objectives were accomplished.
2. Course content was up-to-date, useful, and well-organized.
3. Instructor demonstrated a comprehensive knowledge of the subject.
4. Course administration was efficient and convenient.
5. Overall, I would rate this course.
6. Please note any additional comments.
Should be Empty: