To provide an opportunity for neurosurgical trainees from LMICs or underserved communities to travel to Jacksonville, Florida, USA for an observership to learn about the latest neurosurgical techniques and bring this knowledge back to benefit patients in their community. The award is to defray costs associated with their travel to and stay in Jacksonville.
1. Neurosurgical trainee within 2 years of completing residency or 3 years after completion.
2. Resides in a low or middle income country (World Bank Definition*)
1. Applicant must complete application requirements by deadline.
2. One awardee per year.
3. Awardee must complete travel to Jacksonville within 12 months of being awarded or the award will be forfeited.
4. Observership duration is 1-3 months.
5. Awardee is responsible for arranging:
a. Visa travel to USA
b. Airfare to USA
c. Observership rotation(s) to Jacksonville area hospitals** (Please note that observerships are not guaranteed. Awardee is responsible for securing agreement for observership with hospital/institution.)
d. Accommodation and transportation in the USA
6. NOF will provide information on contacts in Jacksonville area hospitals to arrange their rotations, on suggested accommodations and transportation, and limited assistance on travel.
7. Award is disbursed in two payments:
a. Prior to arrival in Jacksonville to defray travel related expenses. Awardee to supply bank information to NOF for wire transfer.
b. Remainder of award is paid upon arrival in Jacksonville.
*To see full country list, go to https://data.worldbank.org/income-level/low-and-middle-income.