To become certified, candidates must meet all five of the basic eligibility criteria listed and the advanced eligibility criteria listed below at the time of application. Complete the application form, submit all fees, and successfully pass the certification examination with a score of 70% or higher. No persons shall be excluded from the opportunity to participate in the Certification in Transcultural Nursing program on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, affiliation, or disability. To be eligible to participate in the examination, all criteria listed below must be completed prior to the application being submitted.
Advanced Level CTN (CTN-A) Basic Criteria
- Hold a current, active, unrestricted RN license in a state or territory of the United States or the professional, legally recognized equivalent in another country.
- Hold a diploma, an associate, or BSN degree from a program accredited by the Commission on the Collegiate of Nursing Education (CCNE) or the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) if the school is in the US; or legally recognized equivalent in another country.
- Currently employed in nursing, either full- or part-time, at the time of application.
- Completed at least one course (didactic and/or clinical) in cultural diversity and promotion of cultural competence for a minimum of 3 credits (or equivalent 42 Contact Hours).
- Completed 2400 hours of transcultural nursing practice as a registered nurse in an administrative, teaching, research, or clinical capacity, either full- or part-time during the five years prior to submitting your application.
Description of Practice
The CTN-B practices in diverse settings including primary care, acute care, community settings, rural/remote area nursing, and long-term care across the life span and is actively engaged in education (e.g. patient, staff, students, and colleagues), case management, clinical practice, consultation, research, and/or administration.
Advanced Level CTN (CTN-A) Additional Criteria
All Additional Criteria listed below must be met in order to take the Certified Transcultural Nurse Advanced Exam
- Evidence of professional growth in TCN
- Attendance at classes, workshops, and conferences
- Conducting classes, workshops, and conferences
- Accumulation of continuing education in TCN knowledge
- Evidence of creative and innovative ways to promote and maintain TCN practice
- Short summary of endeavors
- Multimedia showing TCN practice in action
- Evidence of research in TCN
- Research projects or grants
- Ongoing research, funded or community projects
- Published materials
- Evidence of substantive or unique contributions made to advance TCN
- Community projects
- Teaching and mentoring
- Evidence of TCN leadership in teaching, research, or consultation to improve care in diverse cultures
- Letters of support from students, employers, etc.
- Letters from other nurses
- Multidisciplinary leadership in programs, panel presentations, etc.