In 1976 the American Printing History Association established an annual award to be presented for "distinguished contribution to the study, recording, preservation or dissemination of printing history, in any specific area or in general terms."
In 1985 a second award was established for institutional achievement. These prestigious awards are presented each January at the APHA Annual Meeting.
Print and paper historians, collectors, educators, librarians and archivists, paper artists, printers, traditional papermakers, toolmakers, conservators and others, as well as college and university programs, nonprofits, social groups, and libraries and archives are all eligible for nomination.
Nominations are accepted by the American Printing History Association (APHA) Awards Committee throughout the calendar year and may be submitted online at any time up until 12 noon EDT on the THIRD WEDNESDAY in September.
The closing date for 2024 nominations is 13 September, 2023.
Nominators may compose their nomination text using whatever software they prefer but please cut and paste it into the nomination form.
To nominate someone, fill out this form and click SUBMIT. (Nominations via postal mail will not be accepted.)
Questions or concerns may be addressed to the committee at email@example.com
Guidelines and Requirements
1. You do not have to be a member of APHA to nominate someone. Nominations from APHA chapters are encouraged.
2. A nominee need not be a current member of APHA as long as their contribution to the field has been significant.
3. Current awards committee members may not submit nominations, however members of the Board of Trustees may do so.
4. Current committee members or members of the Board may not be nominated for the awards.
5. Self-nominations are not allowed.
6. Multiple nominations for the same individual(s) from different nominators are acceptable.
7. Multiple nominations for different individuals by the same nominator are acceptable.
8. Nominations from a previous year may be considered by the committee along with the pool of new nominations in the current year.
9. Resubmitting a nomination from year to year is allowed.
10. Posthumous nominations of individuals are encouraged.
The APHA Awards Committee reviews all nominations after the submission deadline, as well as any previously submitted nominations. The committee contacts nominees at this point, to ensure that they are willing to stand for nomination. The committee recommends honorees for the Board's approval at a meeting at least one month prior to the Annual meeting.
The field of nominations will include not only those received in this calendar year, but also all nominations received for the previous five awards nominations processes (e.g., 2024 nominees will include all other nominated parties for 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, and 2019). The awards committee will submit their recommendations to the APHA board no later than four (4) months in advance of the annual meeting.