Checklist BEFORE DEPARTURE: you will need to email us the following:Your Volunteer ApplicationSigned Terms, & Conditions WaiverCopy of your Flight detailsCopy of your Tanzanian VisaEmergency Contact InfoReceipt Proof of Travel Insurance (we do not need a copy of entire policy)Final Payment of Volunteer Trip Cost
VCP TERMS & CONDITIONS WAIVERVillage Care Project (VCP) 619 E 42nd St, Loveland, CO 80538 https://villagecareproject.com 970-663-7492
Village Care Project, also referred to as VCP, appreciates the support and participation of volunteers for our work both in the U.S. and in Africa. To facilitate our volunteer orientation and coordination, the following terms &conditions apply to all volunteers, particularly those who register to accompany Staff for overseas trips. Village Care Project will provide travel details and itineraries to volunteers who register for trips and who make the necessary deposit.
By paying a deposit for such a trip, volunteers are agreeing to the following terms and conditions below:
Definition of Volunteer: VCP Volunteers are all those who are not board members, staff members or trip leaders and who may support VCP with their time, funding, or other support on an overseas project or in the USA on a regular or periodic basis.
COSTS & DETAILS:
Volunteer Payment & Acknowledgements: When a volunteer provides payment or donations towards a Village Care Project volunteer trip, they acknowledge that this trip is coordinated and conducted by VCP and accept the terms and conditions below provided by VCP. Deposits or other payments may be made as follows:
a. Credit card payment through the VCP website via Paypal
b. Check mailed to: Village Care Project, 619 E 42nd St, Loveland, CO 80538
Please note that mailed checks may take several days to arrive and trips are not secured until deposits are received.
Volunteer Trip Acceptance: Note after we receive your application and deposit, please wait to hear from us via email. VCP reserves the right to accept or decline your application for any reason. VCP will issue a full refund if you are not accepted.
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL $4100 dbl occupancy. Single room cost (solo) is $4600, only when rooms are available. USD
A $800 Non-Refundable Deposit is requested to be accepted into the volunteer program. (VCP will issue a full refund if you are not accepted into the volunteer program) and must be received 6 months ahead of the trip to receive the early bird discount. Note these funds are wired to Africa to reserve accomodations that fill up fast and cannot be refunded. (Realize, we may have turned other people away who could have come, unless you can find a suitable replacement.)
Regular Trip Cost 4-6 months in advance of trip is $4500 double occupancy rates, see exclusions below. Single room cost (solo) is $5000, only when available.
Cost does not include airfare and exclusions listed below.
Balance in full is due 90 days before trip departs.
Trip Leader: Every trip will be led by an experienced, English speaking person who will coordinate all volunteers, trip itinerary, and other details and serve as the trip leader. Final acceptance of any volunteer is at the discretion of the VCP trip leader. The VCP trip leader will do their utmost to ensure a safe and positive trip experience for all volunteers. The Volunteer understands and accepts that the VCP trip leader will have the final say regarding the trip and "all things", (terms and conditions and decisions) for VCP, the project, local team members and volunteers.
Travel Insurance: Travel insurance is mandatory to participate on a VCP trip to cover any unexpected and unforseen emergencies. VCP does NOT provide refunds for any reason once the road trip VCP Project has begun, as all our vendors will have been paid for up front. We will need a copy of this insurance plus your flight details before departure.
Refund Policy: Deposit to hold your spot is non refundable, unless for some reason you are not accepted into the VCP Volunteer program we will refund all deposits you have paid). (Realize, we may have turned other people away who could have come, unless you can find a suitable replacement.)Refund of final trip cost is available up to 90 days before trip departure, less a $100 processing fee.
If any volunteer must cancel their participation with 90 days notice, a credit for their payments may be applied toward a future trip, minus a $100 processing fee.Cancellation Policy: If a trip must be cancelled by VCP for any reason, volunteers will be fully refunded within 90 days of cancellation. VCP will accept no liability for any costs incurred by you for anything other than the monies paid to us for the volunteer trip.Trip Size: We try to keep our trip size small to allow for a more intimate experience for all involved. Currently allowing up to 5 volunteers (VCP reserves the right to change this at any time). (However, if you have a group we can quote this.)
INCLUDED in trip cost:
• Airport Transfer fees are included so long as you arrive on the same date as our trip leader. If you make a flight outside of that window you will be responsible for obtaining a taxi at the airport to get to our first night lodging and meeting place unless indicated in the itinerary.• Lodging based on double occupancy. Single rooms cost $50 more per day.• Meals 3 a day and non-alcoholic beverages• Travel guides , drivers & village translators• 2 National Park admissions and entrance fees for mini safari's• Safari style 4x4 vehicles with roofs that can be opened and closed and gas• Bottled water and non alcoholic beverages • Airport Transfer Fees to and from the airport are included so long as you arrive on the same date as our trip leader. If you make a flight outside of that day you will be responsible for obtaining a taxi to get to our first night lodging and meeting place unless indicated in the itinerary.
---------------------------------------EXCLUSIONS What is NOT Included in trip cost:
• Transportation to/from the destination (international / domestic) -- DO NOT make your flight reservations until you have written confirmation from us that the trip is confirmed and you are accepted into the VCP Volunteer program. If not accepted ALL deposits will be refunded.
• Tips & gratuities: It is good form to give a minimum $1 tip per bag to luggage handlers. Restaurant staff are not typically given tips, the lodge may have a group tip box that all staff share when we leave the lodge.• Guide Tips: Customary practice is at the end of the trip tips are also paid to each guide & driver by VCP staff member & all volunteers. Typically $10 a day per person is customary but more or less as you feel approriate for their help & services. So please allow $100 for a guide tip that we will present to them at the end of a 10 day trip.
• Personal Expenses: If you make any purchases at lodges or while traveling these are extra: (eg. alcoholic drinks, restaurant or bar snacks, phone calls, laundry, souvenirs, etc.) (volunteers may be required to give the hotel a credit card at check in for any such expenses).VCP will also need a copy of your credit card. All volunteers accept and grant permission for VCP to use this card for any of your unpaid expenses or damages at lodges, that sometimes happen, to cover these costs.
• Electrical wall plugs of types D and G. You will also want a converter to plug your devices into. (see info below)
• Travel and Health Insurance: Travel insurance is mandatory to participate on a VCP trip. Volunteers must understand and accept potential risks and hazards as part of volunteering as well as personal responsibility for their general health and safety. As a volunteer, you accept and agree that you will not bring a lawsuit against, or hold VCP liable for any and all unforseen emergencies that can occur including but not limited to: flight delays or cancellations, loss or damage to personal property and luggage, illness, unforseen accidents or injury, dietary problems, encounters with wildlife and insects, reaction to drinking water that is not purified, allergic reactions, evacuations, quarantine, travel expenses or other concerns associated with my health and safety. You accept VCP will not be liable for any other concerns resulting from this assumption of risk, including consequences of terrorist activity, strikes, industrial action, wars, civil strife, road closures, construction, adverse weather conditions, natural disasters, actions of villagers or other participants on the trip or any other untoward occurrences. To assist with these risks and any resulting financial strain, VCP requires volunteers to purchase travel and health insurance.
I understand VCP but will be a resource to assist the volunteer when possible. VCP can recommend a travel insurance company like World Nomads or www.travelguard.com. However, you are free to shop for and select your own. We will need a copy of this insurance plus your flight details before departure.
• Tanzanian VISA; We can assist you with obtaining a VISA online to enter into Tanzania. Current cost is $100. Allow several weeks to process these visas so volunteers should apply for the visa soon AFTER you make your flight reservations. DO NOT make your flight reservations until you have written confirmation from VCP.
• Doctor visits and immunizations - Volunteers should check with their local doctor, tell them where they are traveling and get their recommendations about COVID plus any other necessary immunizations before entering a country. (Yellow fever is not necessary where we we going in Tanzania, Africa).
SUGGESTIONS on What to Bring: Volunteers are responsible for bringing their own personal items:
LuggageToiletries (occassionally a small lodge will not provide hair products)Clothes: Shorts, shirts, long pants, long sleeve shirts, (women should be aware that it is inapproriate to wear "short" shorts or "short" skirts and/or really low cut blouses. Tank tops are fine.) A long sleeve shirt is recommended for hot sun.Hat for sun, something with a brim is wiseShoes or sandalsLight jacket in case of cold or rainFlashlight or headlightBook to read, MP3, travel games or some other personal entertainmentCell phone and USB chargerCamera and accessories (eg. batteries, charger, memory cards, tripod, etc.)SunscreenInsect repellant (some swear by Deet, others do not)Small light daypack to carry items in the vehicle during the dayTP in a plastic bag for while we are out on the road, not all facilities have TP.Hand sanitizer or wipesAlarm clock of some kind to help you be on time for our project scheduleSmall First aid kit: bandaids, antibiotic creme, antihistamine, stomach aid (like Pepto Bismal tablets), anti diarrhea tablets, and any other personal items in small bag.Swimsuit & pool towel (many locations will have a pool) Electricity in Tanzania: Tanzania uses higher voltage than the USA. Your electric devices from the USA will be expecting 120 Volts. Bring power wall plugs of types D and G. PLUS You will also want a converter to plug one or more US devices into. The standard voltage is 230 V in Tanzania.At Home Covid Test kits: Some people bring a personal "at home" Covid test kit in the event you become ill. One to test if you have COVID and one to test that you have recovered from covid if you want to rejoin our group. You will be 100% responsible for any costs incurred from quarantine and any associated travel expenses if you become sick with covid or any other illness. Travel Insurance with evacuation and trip cancellation is mandatory. VCP does NOT provide refunds for any reason once the trip has begun, as all our vendors will have been paid for up front.
Passport: Volunteers should be sure to check their passport a few months ahead to make sure the passport has enough extra pages and that expiration day is at least 6 months before and after your trip. If not, the passport will need to be renewed. PLEASE NOTE, passport renewal can take up to several months unless expedited – allow enough time in either case.
Accommodations: Volunteers will be housed in comfortable rooms reserved in advance by VCP and based on what is available in the region we are traveling in. You will have your own bed with mosquito net. Each room has a bathroom with a towel, toilet and shower. Toiletries may or may not be provided, please bring some travel size toiletries of your own, just in case.
Room Rates for volunteers are per person in US dollars, based on double occupancy and subject to change without prior notice. Solo volunteers are welcome. Solo volunteers may be matched with same sex roommates OR request available single room for additional $50 supplement per night, when available.
Roommate changes may be available, volunteers should consult with the VCP trip leader who will do their best to assist. However, unless there are extenuating circumstances such as physical, verbal or emotional abuse then this request will have to be negotiated by the trip leader and fees may be involved.
Groups: Volunteers traveling with friends, spouses or in a group may request family style accommodations that will be honored based on availability. Rates are subject to change without notice. VCP reserves the right to change accommodations as needed based on availability and any other issues that may arise on location. VCP offers a small group discount for 3 or more, so be sure to get a quote.
Mature young people ages 15-17 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. We must have a parent/guardian permission and waiver signed.
Pets: Sorry, no pets are allowed, including service pets.
Activity Level: Unless otherwise stated in the trip itinerary, most of our volunteer trips are rated fairly easy to moderate. Hiking, visiting villages, and other outdoor activities often on uneven terrain, stairs, getting in and out of all kinds of transportation and vehicles, etc. are also expected activities during the trip.
Health and Medical: Volunteers are 100% responsible for making sure they have the health and fitness to participate in this group trip. If you have any concerns about your fitness or health please check with your doctor before purchasing this volunteer trip. Please advise VCP in advance of a trip if you have any dietary restrictions, medical conditions, allergies or take prescription drugs.
Be sure to bring any medications or first aid supplies you may need and please advise the VCP trip leader so they are aware & can help in case of an emergency.
Immunizations: You will be in mainland Tanzania. Volunteers and their personal medical doctors are 100% responsible for researching and obtaining any necessary medications, updates or immunizations for the VCP trip they will be participating in.
Drugs and Alcohol:
• Be advised possession of THC in any form, marijuana or cannabis, by a tourist, including medically prescribed marijuana is ILLEGAL in Tanzania and you can end up in jail. Leave it at home.
• Excessive use of alcohol: You will be given one warning if you get publicly intoxicated. The Trip Leader may ask you to leave the program at your own expense.
• Use or distribution of any kinds of illegal drugs. The Trip Leader will ask you to leave the program at your own expense.
• Prescription medication: Please notify your Trip leader of prescription drugs so they can assist in any emergency. NOTE: Do NOT bring medical marijuana, THC and any form of cannibis, by a tourist, is very illegal in Tanzania.
I understand VCP but will be a resource only to assist the volunteer when possible. VCP can recommend an affordable travel insurance company like World Nomads or Travelguard.com, however you must shop for and select your own. We will need a copy of this insurance plus your flight details before departure.
Language: VCP is a USA based company. Please respect that we speak English and our exceptional local suppliers will speak English or be bilingual in their language. We also will have translators with us to assist speaking with the local tribes we visit. We expect all volunteers to be fairly fluent in English to participate in the VCP volunteer project.
Volunteer Gift Giving: Volunteer gift giving at villages is welcome with prior approval of the VCP trip leader. Please advise us what you intend to bring so we can advise you and schedule it into our village visits. There is often time after our supply distribution to pass out volunteer gifts, however this is NOT expected of you.
Diversity Policy: VCP has an "acceptance of diversity" policy. Participants in the trip, staff, volunteers, local team members, vendors, villagers and other people we will be meeting come from many different backgrounds. Lack of respect, aggression, argumentative behavior, bullying, etc. during this trip, shown in any way, for another person's differing religion, beliefs, ethnicity, race, sex, culture, sexual orientation, political or cultural views, etc. are not tolerated. Our VCP policy is simply to "have respect for all" and expect all volunteers to avoid topics and/or personal opinions that may cause hurt or ill feelings during the VCP trip. The trip leader has the authority to give a warning and then ask any volunteers(s) to leave the group at their own expense and without a refund, at their own expense if the behavior continues.
Diversity Special Exception: VCP and all volunteers must accept local Tanzanian laws. Non Binary or LGBTQ face serious legal challenges by Tanzanian law. Public displays of these orientations are ILLEGAL. LGBTQ etc. need to realize it is highly taboo socially to discuss, show affection or be demonstrative in public. Penalty: Up to LIFE in prison with fines.
VCP staff & volunteers will NOT be discussing or acknowledging LGBTQ or NON binary gender or OTHER identities. While VCP is accepting of different gender & sexual orientations, our policy when we are in Tanzania, is that VCP staff and ALL volunteers must do as the Tanzanians do: VCP and volunteers will NOT be using any special pronouns, especially around our local African staff. Quite simply, if you look like a female, you will be a she/her and if you look like a male, you will be addressed as a he/him. Cross dressing is also ILLEGAL. REPEAT Tanzanian Penalty: Up to LIFE in prison with fines. If this is a problem for you, this is REALLY not a good trip to go on. Please discuss with our (accepting, open minded) staff before commitment.
Your Photography & Videography: Share the love! Volunteers may take photos and videos on the trip to share on social media and for their personal social use. VCP appreciates that you help spread the word and explain, whenever possible, that you are a volunteer on a VillageCareProject.com project. Many thanks!
Commercial use of your Photos: Use of photos or videos taken during your VCP project will not be permitted, except for social and personal use, without the prior consent of VCP and of any individuals that participate in the VCP project. VCP does not permit any commercial use of VCP photos and videos by any individual or organizations without a signed release from VCP.
Unacceptable Behavior: Volunteers acknowledge that for the safety and the well-being of the group, individual participants, trip vendor(s), and others, the VCP trip leader will act in the best interests of the group to ensure that the trip runs as smoothly as possible. We may not be able to bend a trip or our rules for an individual. In this interest, the following actions and behaviors are NOT permitted by VCP Volunteers:
Authority: The VCP trip leader has the right and authority to ask the individual(s) to leave the project, for any reason, at their own expense, with no refunds.
• Bullying, verbal, confrontational, physical or sexual abuse, harassment, words or actions.
• Smoking or vaping around the group members, in vehicles, restrooms, lodges or in tent camps (fire hazard). VCP is a non smoking/vaping project.
• Excessive use of alcohol: You will be given one warning if you get publicly intoxicated.
• Possession of THC in any form, marijuana or cannabis, by a tourist, including medically prescribed marijuana is ILLEGAL in Tanzania and you can end up in jail. Leave it at home.
• Use or distribution of any kinds of illegal drugs. The Trip Leader will ask you to leave the program at your own expense.
• Lack of consideration of fellow travelers and for the group travel schedule. Please bring an alarm clock of some kind.
• Lack of respect in any way for others in the group on the basis of sex, race, religion, cultural diversity, ethnicity, or political views, etc.
Property Damages: Volunteers will be 100% responsible for paying for any damages made by any volunteer including: accidents within your room, vehicles we travel in, vendors or to other participants property. VCP is authorized to use the Volunteer credit card on file to pay for any damages of the above.
Privacy: Your Privacy is important to us. We will not sell or give your personal information to anyone except vendors we are utilizing for the trip or officials such as police or medical in case of emergencies. If you want another trip volunteer or staff member to know your contact info you will have to give it to them. Exception: In participating you will be accepting a model release allowing use of your name and likeness/images/video that may be taken during the volunteer trip allowing VCP to promote the VCP program.)
Background Check & Security: VCP reserves the right to perform, or not perform, a background check on any potential volunteers who want to go on our trips. VCP may choose to not accept any individual for a trip based on the background check. VCP will do what we can to protect our volunteers; however VCP is not responsible or liable for participating volunteers who may be dangerous, are felons, stalkers or criminals. The trip leader has the authority to call the police and or ask any participant to leave the group, at their own expense and without a refund.
Travel & Health Insurance: Travel insurance is mandatory to participate on a VCP trip. I understand and accept that Travel involves a certain degree of risk.
Assumption of Risks and Liability: VCP will do the best we can to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable experience. To assist with these risks, VCP requires volunteers to purchase travel and health insurance.
Release of Liability
By paying my volunteer deposit and submitting this voluteer application I accept, understand and agree that I will not bring a lawsuit against, or hold VCP liable for any and all unforseen emergencies that can occur including but not limited to these potential risks and hazards as part of volunteering with VCP.
• You accept that VCP will not be held liable for: injury, disease, accident, illness, loss or damage of property, inconvenience, cancellations or delays of your public transportation (flight/bus/shuttle/taxi, etc), discomfort and even death.
• You accept that VCP will not be held liable for: dietary concerns, health problems, medical conditions or emergencies, evacuations, hospital, or ambulance or other medical emergency transportation costs, illness, unforseen accidents or injuries, encounters with wildlife, reptiles, insects, damaging flora and fauna, drinking water that is not purified or allergies, quarantine, unforseen travel expenses or other concerns associated with my health and safety. You are required to bring your own travel, and health insurance to cover any emergency.
• You accept that VCP will not be held liable for: consequences of terrorist activity, strikes, industrial action, wars, civil strife, road closures, construction, adverse weather conditions, natural disasters, actions of other volunteers, staff, or participants on the trip or any other untoward occurrences or any uninsured losses of your property. To assist with these risks, VCP requires volunteers to purchase travel and health insurance in the case of any emergency.
Confidentiality, Non-Compete Clause and Intellectual Property Rights of VCP: Regardless of donations or funding for the project you attend, volunteers acknowledge that they are attending this Village Care Project planned trip strictly as a Volunteer. Each volunteer acknowledges and accepts that any and all VCP information obtained regarding vendors, guides, translators, supplies, villages we visit and methods of operation is private and confidential. This information may not be used by a volunteer to create similar programs, business programs or similar non-profit programs based on the VCP model and information. All information obtained during a VCP planned trip regarding the project while visiting villages and VCP vendors including, but not limited to, assembling and demonstrating water filters, distributing and demonstrating mosquito nets, dirty and clean water buckets and filters, all supplies, LED solar lights, tarps, Village Care Project staff and board members, villagers and other volunteers are owned and copyright 2019 by the Village Care Project and is strictly prohibited for personal, non-profit or commercial use only without written permission from the VCP board of directors who have voted on this usage and will be considered a breach of copyright laws.
Photo & Video Model Release: For valuable consideration received, I grant to Village Care Project, also hereafter known as VCP Photographer / Videographer, the absolute and irrevocable right and unrestricted permission concerning any photographs and/or videos that VCP staff has taken or may take of me or in which I may be included with others, to use, reuse, publish, and republish the photographs and/or videos in whole or in part, individually or in connection with other material, in any and all media now or hereafter known, including the internet, and for any purpose whatsoever, specifically including illustration, promotion, art, editorial, advertising, and trade, without restriction as to alteration. Upon request compensastion is limited to one digital copy for personal or social use only. I release and discharge VCP Photographer / Videographer from any and all claims and demands that may arise out of or in connection with the use of the photographs and/or videos, including without limitation any and all claims for libel or violation of any right of publicity or privacy. This authorization and release shall also inure to the benefit of the heirs, legal representatives, licensees, and assigns of Photographer, as well as the person(s) for whom he/she took the photographs and/or videos.
I am a legally competent adult and have the right to contract in my own name. I have read this document and fully understand its contents. This release shall be binding upon me and my heirs, legal representatives, and assigns.