Under the auspices of ACEC’s College of Fellows, the ACEC Research Institute will award general scholarships, specialty scholarships, as well as Diversity & Inclusion Scholarships.
Upon submission, your scholarship application will be forwarded to the appropriate ACEC State Membership Organization for consideration in their local program as well as the national program.
Check with state Member Organization for application deadline.
Guidelines & Qualifications
U.S. Citizenship is required to qualify for ACEC National Scholarships. Citizenship requirements for states awards may vary.
General Scholarship Guidelines:
- Will be enrolled as junior, senior, fifth, or master’s degree year, in the fall of 2023.
- Pursuing an ABET accredited Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering (includes geomatic engineering/land-surveying). To view a list of ABET, Inc.'s EAC accredited engineering programs, click here.
Specialty Scholarship Guidelines:
- Coalition of American Structural Engineers (CASE) Scholarship
- Only students who are enrolled in a Master’s degree program for Structural Engineering in fall of 2023 will be eligible for the CASE scholarship. Student must either be in an ABET-accredited MS engineering program or have a BS degree from an ABET-accredited engineering program.
- Lee Rice LRE Water Scholarship
- Students must be enrolled in their junior, senior or 5th year, or pursuing a master’s degree in engineering geology, water engineering or natural resource engineering related fields.
Diversity & Inclusion Scholarship Guidelines:
- J.A. Watts, Inc. Diversity in Engineering Scholarship
- This scholarship will award funding to students of color who have been traditionally underrepresented in the field of engineering.
- Kimley-Horn Diversity in STEM Scholarship
- Kimley-Horn Diversity in STEM Scholarship (Needs-Based)
- Stanley Consultants, Inc. Diversity in Engineering Scholarship (Needs-Based)
- Stanley Consultants, Inc. Helping Hands Scholarship (Needs-Based)
For Diversity Scholarships, students self-identify as American Indian/Alaskan Native, Black, Asian/Pacific, Islander, Hispanic/Latino, and/or Mixed Race; women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ+.
A student can receive only one ACEC National scholarship during the student’s academic career.
Payments will be made to the academic institution beginning July 1 for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Applications should be as complete as possible. Each portion of the application has a specific point value. Judges will score each section separately. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
• Cumulative Grade Point Average: 20 points
• Essay: 25 points
• Work Experience: 27 points
Work experience will be limited to 2020-2022. List your most recent work experience first and include any jobs held during high school if within the three-year period. Indicate the year in school during which you held a particular position. Indicate if your work experience was in the form of work-study, co-op, or practicum. Clearly identify the nature of the business of the listed employers; in particular, note consulting engineering or land surveying firms. Be complete and accurate. The more experience you list, the higher your potential score.
• Recommendation: 15 points
A recommendation is needed from a consulting engineer, land surveyor or engineering professor. Use the official form—a letter is not sufficient. Letters sent in addition to forms will not be read. Greater weight will be given for a recommendation from a consulting engineer or land surveyor. The evaluator must use the official recommendation form found here.
• Extracurricular College Activities: 13 points
List all college activities under the indicated categories and years. Include offices held and other leadership roles in any organizations. Be as complete as possible. If there are no activities, write “none”. The more activities you list, the higher your potential score.
Application Checklist for Submission:
- Select Scholarship(s) in which you wish to apply
- ABET Accredited Engineering Program under Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC)
- ACEC Research Institute Recommendation Form
- ACEC Research Institute Scholarship Payment Activation Information
- Official Transcript – Including 2022 Fall Semester Grades
For questions, or further information, please contact Heather Talbert at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 202.682.4377