The following requirements are preferred of individuals applying to volunteer as a Coach/Mentor/Trainer (CMT) during the 2023 Red Hat Shelton Challenge:
- Must be at least a first-year student in college OR a graduating high school senior who has served as a Peer Leader for at least one year with the Shelton Challenge
- Experience working with teams
- Experience with service-learning and reflection techniques (preferred)
- Experience or desire to work with youth (preferred)
- Attend 3 staff training sessions (one (in-person) on March 25, 2023, one virtually the week before the program you will serve, and on the Saturday before the participants arrive to the Challenge).
- Model the five values of the Shelton Leadership Center – honesty, integrity, compassion, diversity, and social responsibility
- Observe team throughout the day and provide feedback to the team leader and team members. Take frequent notes to use for reflections, feedback, and evaluations.
- Lead reflections each day for team. CMTs also help Peer Leaders develop skills for leading reflections.
- Attend daily staff meetings during the week.
- Work respectfully in a team-oriented manner with all Red Hat Shelton Challenge Staff.