2023-03-05 Abstract submission deadline
2023-05-01 Notification of acceptance or rejection
2023-07-01 Early registration deadline
2023-07-31 Full paper submission deadline
2023-09-11 Standard registration deadline
Submission Information and Instructions
Please read these instructions carefully before submission of your abstract!
Non-adherence to them may result in rejection of your abstract.
- GENERAL: Participants are invited to submit original scientific abstracts for oral and/or poster presentation provided that the abstracts have not been previously published as a full paper. If you have submitted your paper to a journal for publication, please ensure that the publication date will be after the conference.
• Authors are requested to conform to the guidelines below for submission of abstracts. Abstracts not conforming to the guidelines will not be referred for review.
• The abstracts must be submitted in English and the presentations must be given in that language.
• Abstracts will be reviewed by a panel of experts and may be selected for oral or poster presentation (or may be rejected). The time allotted for each oral presentation will depend on the session to which the abstract is allocated.
• Submission of an abstract constitutes a formal commitment by the author to present the paper in the session and at the time decided upon by the International Scientific Committee (ISC). Any change in the presenting author needs to be communicated in the form of a written statement to the International Scientific Committee via CIE Central Bureau. If the original presenting author is unable to present the paper, it is that person’s responsibility to ensure that one of the co-authors takes over this role. Failure to present the paper for other than well-founded reasons will lead to rejection of abstracts submitted at the next CIE Conference.
• The registration fees for the presenting author will not be waived. We encourage authors to register via the online registration system (will open soon) at the same time as they submit abstracts as, much to the regret of the organizers, failure to register by the presenting author by July 1, 2023 (by the early registration deadline) will automatically imply that the presentation will not be included in the Final Programme.
Notification of acceptance or rejection by the International Scientific Committee will be mailed to the submitting author at the e-mail address supplied by May 1, 2023. Detailed information, guidelines and recommendations for oral or poster presentation, as well as time allotment, date, hour and venue, will be sent in due time.
Abstracts sent other than through the online submission system (by mail, e-mail or fax) will not be accepted.
- DEADLINE: The deadline for submissions is March 5, 2023 at 11:59 PM Central European Time.
- SUBMISSION LIMIT: There are no restrictions on the number of submissions you may make. However, note that
- a maximum of two oral presentations will be allowed per presenter;
- same or similar abstracts for different topics must not be submitted.
- FORMAT: The Abstract Template for CIE 2023 must be used for the preparation of the abstract. Click on the link to download the file. Only abstracts using the styles of that template file will be accepted. Your abstract file for submission shall be labelled as follows: Author's last name, first name (optional number if more than one submission of the same author).doc(x).
- WORD LIMIT: There is a limit of 1000 words for the text of your submission. There is no requirement regarding the minimum length of an abstract, but keep in mind that your abstract should have enough substance for an adequate evaluation by the reviewers.
- TITLE: The title shall be entered in uppercase. Do not put your title in quotation marks.
The title should clearly indicate the nature of the investigation. Abbreviations should be avoided in the title, but may be used in the body text if they are defined at first usage.
- AUTHORS AND INSTITUTIONS/AFFILIATIONS: Please name all authors and their institutional affiliations in the header of your abstract.
Please note the guidelines regarding the presenting author in the general part of these instructions (see 1.)!
For the purpose of the abstract review, which will be a double-blind review (see 13.), the author name(s) will be hidden. Only for publication in the abstract booklet later on author details will be made unhidden.
- CONTENTS OF THE ABSTRACT BODY: The abstract should be as informative as possible. For that please use the structure given by the template:
• State the motivation and specific objective of the study.
• State the methods used, if pertinent.
• Summarize the results obtained.
• State the conclusions reached.
- TABLES AND IMAGES: No tables or images are allowed in your abstract. Please note that you should not submit a detailed paper, but an extended summary of the project you want to present. Any tables or images submitted will be deleted.
- REFERENCES AND PRODUCT ADVERTISEMENT: No references are allowed in your abstract. These are usually not necessary to reveal the aim of your abstract. As the review of your abstract will be performed double-blind (see also 13.), any disclosure of the names/affiliations of the author(s) shall be avoided. Any references to products or even product advertisement are not allowed either.
Note that the abstract may be rejected if you do not adhere to this requirement!
- EQUATIONS AND FORMULAS: Please avoid including equations and formulas in your abstract. Usually these are not necessary to reveal the aim of your abstract.
- PRESENTATION TYPE AND TOPIC: You have to select the appropriate presentation type and topic for your submission. Select the appropriate presentation type and topic using the drop-down menu provided. Note that the International Scientific Committee may or may not agree with this choice.
- REVIEW: For the evaluation of your abstract a double-blind review will take place, which means that both the reviewer and author identities are concealed from the reviewers, and vice versa, throughout the review process. The reviewers will judge the abstracts according to the relevance to the conference, standard of English, objectivity of statement, description of what was done, suitability of methods in relation to aims, conclusions confirmed by objective results, scientific value, originality of work and overall impression.
Note that for the purpose of the abstract review the author name(s) will be hidden.
Prizes for full papers submitted to and presented at CIE 2023: As at CIE 2021 there will be prizes awarded for: Best Oral Paper; Best Student Paper; and Best Poster Paper. The prizes will be a selection of up to three CIE publication and free registration at CIE 2025 and consideration for the "best of papers" to be included in a special issue of the journal Lighting Research and Technology (LR&T).
Only submitted full conference papers will considered for these awards. The Best Student Paper will be awarded to a paper where the main author is a student and is the person presenting the paper at CIE 2023.
- OPEN ACCESS OF CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS PAPERS:
For the CIE 2023 conference proceedings there will be an option for open access for individual papers.
Further details about open access will be provided at the time authors are requested to submit their final papers for inclusion in the CIE 2023 conference proceedings.
- SUBMISSION OR MEETING QUESTIONS: If you have questions regarding the submission criteria or questions about the meeting, please contact the CIE Central Bureau at email@example.com.