Call for New Plays
Madison New Works Lab
James Madison University
August 17-26, 2023
Seeking: Full-length plays to be workshopped with a community of artists at James Madison University (JMU) in Harrisonburg, VA. Submissions should respond to contemporary questions/issues in our world. Diverse perspectives and/or theatrical approaches welcome. First 200 submissions will be accepted or until 1/30/23. Selected plays will be announced by 4/15/23.
Description of Residency:
- $500 honorarium for each playwright selected
- Round-trip transportation and housing for the playwright
- Access to student performers selected through an audition process. (Maximum of 6 actors, may include double casting.)
- Available resources include director, stage manager, and supportive artistic staff.
- Development and rehearsals will be held 8/17 – 8/26
- Public readings will be held for the JMU and Harrisonburg community the weekend of 8/25-8/26
Play Selection: Preference will be given to unpublished plays/works that are seeking development and accomplish the following
- Address contemporary issues, stories and questions
- Include characters that are suitable for college-age actors for both the development process and potential production in our mainstage season
- Include no more than 6 characters (If your work has more than 6 characters and can be accomplished with character doubling, the character doubling must be articulated in the script.)
The School of Theatre and Dance at James Madison University believes that equity, access, and inclusion are moral imperatives and artistic obligations. Diversity—in the stories we represent, the students we serve, and the audiences we engage—is vital for the health and relevance of contemporary performing arts practice. The School of Theatre and Dance, therefore, welcomes diversity of perspective, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ability.