Instructions Affidavit Requesting Removal From General Tax List Per O.R.C 319.28(B1)
1. The Affidavit must be completed in its entirety, signed, and notarized. Please do not sign until you are in the presence of the Notary Public. The Auditor’s office can provide a notary if needed.
2. For job title, please indicate the qualifying profession that corresponds to your employment (law enforcement officer, firefighter, EMT, correctional facility employee, judge, etc
3. Spouses of qualifying employees are also permitted to submit an affidavit if the property is owned in their name; spouses must independently submit their own signed and notarized affidavit. For spouses of a qualifying employee, please indicate in the job title: “Spouse to [insert qualifying profession here].”
4. If you are mailing the Affidavit into our office for processing, please notate if the processed form should be sent back to an address different from the property address. Completed and notarized affidavits can be mailed to:
Franklin County Auditor’s Office,
373 South High Street, 19th Floor,
Columbus, OH 43215
5. Once our office receives your Affidavit, we will complete the request on your behalf, and then return the original document to you for your record keeping.
6. When you are ready to transfer/sell the property, please present the completed Affidavit to the title agency that is handling the closing on your behalf.
7. The title agency will then create the necessary documents to transfer the property to the new owner(s
8. The Auditor’s office notifies the County Treasurer of any owner name changes; however, you will need to contact the County Recorder directly to ensure that their records properly reflect your name.