The King Street Gallery in the Department of Visual and Performing Arts at Montgomery College is calling for artists to explore, expand, define, engage, meditate on, interrogate, and converse with the color blue. Proposals for solo or group exhibitions are invited.
The deadline for proposals is January 22, 2023, at 11:59 p.m.
The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation Arts Center has a number of spaces available for mounting exhibitions that support the academic mission of the Department of Visual and Performing Arts. This open call is for our King Street Gallery, the largest exhibition space in the Cafritz Arts Center. This light filled, 1050 square foot gallery is in the main atrium of the building. Its prominent location, open design, and extremely high ceilings (30 feet+) make it a great venue for major exhibitions. While much of this gallery space is visible from the main lobby of the building, and through the windows that front onto the street, it does maintain gallery hours and is locked after hours. The gallery hours are Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.– 4 p.m.
Exhibitions are generally scheduled a year in advance to compliment the academic calendar. Exhibitions in the King Street Gallery are 4-5 weeks long, and emphasize two person or small group shows. Single artist applications may be paired with a complimentary artist or artists to better utilize the space. Curated proposals are encouraged.
- This call is for any artist over the age of 18.
- All submitted works must be included with permission of the artist.
- We are unable to assist with shipping costs. All shipped work must therefore include return shipping label and container, and may be shipped via USPS, FedEX, or UPS and appropriately packed to ensure the safety of the artwork. Insurance is covered once work arrives on-site, but not during shipping. International Shipping Carriers and/or hand delivery of artwork can be scheduled in advance.
- Our gallery is Mac friendly. If digital/New Media artworks are not Mac compatible, the artist should supply equipment for display.
- Gallery has available 32 amps max of electrical power. We can accommodate small darkened areas with curtains/screens, but due to our 2 story high windows and open ceiling, we do not have the capability to fully darken the space.
- Framed 2D work should arrive ready to be hung with D-rings or wires. Unframed works on paper can be displayed with clips or magnets. Please avoid clip frames, saw-tooth hangers, or taped edges.
- The gallery is equipped with various sized pedestals, wall mountable shelves, and vitrines for 3D work. If our stock cannot accommodate the scale or size of pieces included in exhibit, the artist may need to provide their own
- Please clearly indicate installation instructions on the application if the work requires special installation, or is intended to hang from the ceiling.
- Please indicate on application if any works will alter our space beyond traditional displays on the wall, floor, or pedestals (such as painting walls) or require regular maintenance. Due to the varied responsibilities of our exhibition staff, such works may require the artist’s assistance in maintaining or returning the gallery to its original state during their scheduled deinstallation.
- Exhibitions staff may require the artist to be present during installation of sufficiently complicated work. We may also request a studio visit (in person or virtual) prior to installation to ensure that we have the proper equipment in place to support installation.
- Completed Proposal Form (below)
- Examples of Artwork: 10-20 digital images, compressed into a single zip file (The longest side of each image needs to be exactly 2100px at 300dpi, sRGB, jpeg format), or links to no more than 10 minutes of recorded work (video, sound, performance, etc)
- An image list, stating the artist, title, size, medium, year, and value (for insurance purposes) of each piece
- Resume or CV for each artist (multiple CV’s should be combined into a single document)
- Curatorial or Artist Statement for work intended to be shown, 500 words maximum
- Installation requirements for all work being exhibited
The deadline for King Street Gallery proposals is January 22, 2023, at 11:59 p.m