MUSIC AND THEORY TUITION
Weekly music tuition from qualified tutors is available to all students at the College on an individual lesson basis.
It is expected that if you are getting lessons through the College that you will perform at least once throughout the year to hold your placement.
*Paired lessons may be offered to Years 4 to 7 students on selected instruments as a transitional option. This needs to be approved by the Coordinator of Music Performance and is dependant on tutor availability and a suitable workable pair. Please contact the Coordinator of Music Performance for the conditions and further information.
Piano: (Students must have a 5 octave weighted keyboard or upright/grand piano at home)
Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass
Year 4 and above:
Woodwind: Piccolo, Flute, Clarinet and Alto/Tenor/Baritone Saxophone
Brass: Trumpet, French Horn, Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba
Percussion (including Drum Kit): Tuned and Untuned
Conditions of Enrolment
Please read carefully:
- Individual tuition is charged at up to $41/30minutes and will be invoiced directly by the tutor at the beginning of each term. These fees are established by the Queensland Music Teachers Association.
- Students must attend lessons for an entire term. If a student ceases lessons during a term then fees are non-refundable for any remaining lessons.
- Written notice to the tutor AND the Coordinator of Music Performance must be given one week before the end of term if lessons are ceasing the following term. Any application to withdraw at the start of the term may incur the fee for the week that this is communicated as the time could have been given to another student and the tutor has kept this time aside for you.
- Lessons are delivered during school time and in special circumstances can be arranged before/after school or during lunch depending on tutor availability.
- All lessons are to be delivered on College Campus. If online lessons are required then this will be accessed on an individual basis and must be approved by the Coordinator of Music Performance and HR.
- It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they attend their lessons.
- Missed lessons: If the tutor is not advised prior (minimum of 24 hours notice) that there is a school event/excursion, exam or of an absence then the lesson will be charged. Tutors are NOT obligated to make up lessons that students have missed without advance notice.
- Rescheduling lessons: Lessons can be rescheduled if an explanation is received by the tutor OR the Coordinator of Music Performance in advanced – a minimum of 24 hours notice required.
- Illness: If a student is ill on the day, the Coordinator of Music Performance or the tutor must be notified at the beginning of the day as a courtesy and to enable the potential of another student filling this time for a make-up lesson. If this occurs, then the tutor will aim to make up this time, however, cannot guarantee this and this is still charged.
Accessing space to practise:
- All students are encouraged to practise on a regular basis to progress. Music rooms are available to students before school, during lunch and if pre-arranged, after school (boarders can arrang to use study time if required).
Expectations and Commitment:
- Students receiving lessons organised by the College are expected to be involved in a suitable College ensemble at the discretion of the ensemble leader and tutor. If students are capable and not contributing to cocurricular programs, then their position with a tutor at the College is not guaranteed.
Hire of Instruments:
- The College has a limited number of instruments for hire. Students who are making a commitment to Music should aim to purchase their own instrument.
- The Instrument Hire Fee is $150 per Semester or $300 per Annum. This does NOT include Piano, Keyboards, Percussion/Drum kits and Guitars.
- Any damages/losses including accidents (eg. dropping) will be paid for by the family hiring the instrument.
- Due to the price, larger and less common instruments (Baritone Sax etc) are more likely to be available to be hired long term.
- Students hiring instruments must participate in cocurricular ensembles if capable.