*Paired lessons may be offered to Year 6 and 7 students on selected instruments as a transitional option. This needs to be approved by the Coordinator of Music Performance and is dependent on tutor availability and a suitable workable pair.
On occasions there may not be a suitable pairing available (instruments and level of performance) and so in the best interest of progress, private tuition may need to be considered as an alternative.
If this is the case, you will be contacted directly and put on a waiting list for paired lessons until a suitable match enrols.
Paired Lesson Conditions
In addition to the standard lesson conditions the following underlined conditions also apply to paired lessons.
Woodwind: Flute, Clarinet and Alto/Tenor/Baritone Saxophone
Brass: Trumpet, French Horn, Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba
Percussion (including Drum Kit): Tuned and Untuned
Conditions of Enrolment - Please read carefully:
· Paired tuition is charged at
$22/30minutes per person (2023)
and will be invoiced directly by the tutor at the beginning of each term.
· Students must attend lessons for an entire term. If a student ceases lessons during a term, then fees are non-refundable for any remaining lessons.
· Written notice to the tutor AND the Coordinator of Music Performance must be given 1 week before the end of term if lessons are ceasing the following term or you are moving to individual tuition.
Any application to withdraw at the start of the term may incur the fee for the time that it takes to find a viable substitute for the paired arrangement.
· If a pair becomes unsuitable due to one student advancing at a much faster rate than the other, notice will be given at least one week before the end of the term to enable a change of pairs or the suggestion of individual tuition.
· Lessons are delivered during school time and in special circumstances can be arranged before/after school or during lunch depending on tutor availability.
· All lessons are to be delivered on College Campus.
Online lessons are not viable in a paired setting.
· It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they attend their lessons.
If the tutor is not advised prior (minimum of 24 hours’ notice) that there is a school event/excursion, exam or of an absence then the lesson will be charged.
Due to the nature of paired lessons, unless both students are absent (and notice given) the lesson will be unlikely to be rescheduled.
Tutors are NOT obligated to make up lessons that students have missed without advanced notice.
Generally, pairs will be in the same Grade due to having the same years of experience and therefore will be involved in the same events.
Lessons can be rescheduled if an explanation is received by the tutor OR the Coordinator of Music Performance in advance –
a minimum of 1 week's notice is required for paired lessons to enable all parties to communicate.
Unless both paying students are absent (and notice given) the lesson will be unable to be rescheduled.
If a student is ill on the day, the Coordinator of Music Performance or the tutor must be notified at the beginning of the day as a courtesy.
Due to the nature of paired lessons, being ill will forfeit your portion of the lesson.
Accessing space to practise:
· All students are encouraged to practise on a regular basis to progress. Music rooms are available to students before school, during lunch and if pre-arranged, after school (boarders can arrange to use study time if required).
Expectations and Commitmen
· Students receiving lessons organised by the College are expected to be involved in a suitable College ensemble at the discretion of the ensemble leader and tutor. If students are capable and not contributing to cocurricular programs, then their position with a tutor at the College is not guaranteed.
Hire of Instruments:
· The College has a limited number of instruments for hire. Students who are making a commitment to Music should aim to purchase their own instrument.
· The Instrument Hire Fee is $150 per Semester or $300 per Annum. This does NOT include Piano, Keyboards, Percussion/Drum kits and Guitars.
· Any damages/losses including accidents (eg. dropping) will be paid for by the family hiring the instrument.
· Due to the price, larger and less common instruments (Baritone Sax etc) are more likely to be available to be hired long term.
· Students hiring instruments must participate in cocurricular ensembles if capable.