The YAPPERS (Youth Area Philanthropists) are the youth board of the Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque. They are dedicated to using volunteerism, grantmaking, and philanthropy to develop leadership skills, to act as positive youth role models, and to improve the Dubuque community. The YAPPERS program gives young people a voice in the issues that affect them now, and the skills to confront the challenges they will face in the future. The best way to learn generosity, gain leadership skills and value community service is by direct exposure and involvement.
The YAPPERS consist of students from Hempstead, Dubuque Senior, and Wahlert Catholic who work to address the needs of youth in the Greater Dubuque area. Their energy and focus is directed to service and grantmaking in the community. The grants are issued to local nonprofit organizations that conduct programs which serve Dubuque youth.
The YAPPERS meet monthly to engage in teambuilding and leadership activities, to discuss local youth issues, and to plan fundraising events in the community.
As a member, it is expected that you:
- Attend monthly meetings from August - May
- Learn about youth needs and assets in our community
- Make decisions about granting funds to youth projects
- Work with adults to show that youth are a community resource
- Participate in community service projects
- Are open to opportunities for personal growth (i.e. leadership skills)
- Make a difference in our community