Apply here if you need In-Kind Space
March Dance is a project initiated by the Independent Dance Alliance (IDA) a collaboration between Critical Path, DirtyFeet and ReadyMade Works. The 2023 festival will be led by Critical Path and DirtyFeet, who have joined forces with other companies and organisations to support artists’ participation in this month-long dance festival, celebrating the culture of independent dance in Sydney.
In its 5th year, March Dance 2023 will bring together the diversity of ongoing independent dance practice in Sydney; we provide focus and a context for diverse forms of independent dance to reach city audiences.
In-Kind Space Residencies: A main objective of March Dance is to provide space and support for dance artists to test their ideas or develop new work, gain experience, and develop and maintain professional skills. This year with our partners we are offering In-Kind Space Residencies at City of Sydney venues, Sydney Dance Company, FORM, Academy of Music and Performing Arts, Australian College of Physical Education, and Dance Makers Collective. If you are an independent artist or group with a project at any stage of development you can apply for a residency.
Mini-Bursaries: We are also offering a Critical Path First Nations Mini-Bursary ($1000) and a March Dance Mini-Bursary ($1000) for independent artists developing or presenting new work. Funds can be used to cover any costs associated with your activities such as artist fees, materials and equipment, travel, collaborators or mentors, and documentation including film and photography. If you are an independent artist or group you can apply for a mini-bursary in addition to your residency.
Applications open: Friday 4 November 2022
Applications close: 5pm Monday 28 November 2022
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by Wednesday 21st December 2022
Selection for In-Kind Residencies and Mini-Bursaries will be made by an independent panel of peer assessors.
If you have any questions please contact Festival Manager Matt Prest at email@example.com or on 0432 979 156
• The program is aimed at NSW based choreographers and dancers
• Project period 1st-31st March, 2023
• The project should be based in contemporary dance practices and can include collaborators with other disciplines
• Early, mid and established artists can apply
• Residency may be for any stage of creative development
• Applications can be made for a collective - please submit only 1 application on behalf of all dance artists in the group
• Only Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Artists can apply to the Critical Path First Nations Bursary
• Calibre of artist/artists
• Clear articulation of conceptual rationale and process
• Articulation of what will be undertaken during the residency
• Benefit to artist at this point in the development of a work
• Strength of Support Material and connection to application
Image Credit: Ryuichi Fujimura in Happy Hour #13: The Improvisation Edition at ReadyMade Works. Photography by Natalie Cartney (Rolling Media)
Image Description: Text - March Dance 2023 1-31st appear against a blue background image. The background image shows Ryuichi, the dancer in a check suit, leaning against the wall with legs up.