The $4,000 Barbara Thornton Memorial Scholarship, is given to an outstanding and highly motivated (and possibly unconventional) young performer of medieval music who seeks to widen their experience through more advanced study and/or auditions in Europe.
The scholarship winner is chosen by a jury of musicians who knew or worked with the great medieval music specialist and teacher, Barbara Thornton (1950-1998), who went to Europe from New York in 1970, filled with plans to study early music. She later co-founded the medieval music ensemble Sequentia with Benjamin Bagby in 1977.
1) Applications are open to a young performer of medieval music who seeks to widen his/her experience through more advanced study and/or auditions in Europe in the summer or fall of 2023.
2) Applicants should be citizens of the Americas who are under the age of 35 at the time of application.
3) Early Music America membership is required of all applicants. Historical performance students qualify for a one-year complimentary student membership. If you are unsure of your membership status, please email email@example.com.
Application Instructions and Information
1) Completed online application forms must be submitted by Friday, March 3, 2023 at 11:59 PM ET.
2) Two letters of recommendation must be submitted by Friday, March 10, 2023 at 11:59 PM ET.
3) One recipient will receive a $4,000 scholarship.
4) Scholarship announcement will be made by the end of April 2023.
5) Questions may be sent to EMA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We highly encourage you to submit your application several days prior to the deadline, so we can resolve any issues in a timely matter. We will not be able to accept any applications after the deadline has passed.