Craft objects have long been a vehicle for processing and understanding emotions, celebrating life, and invoking memory. For this exhibition, Contemporary Craft invites artists working with craft media, (including but not limited to wood, metal, fiber, glass, ceramic, found object, and paper) to respond to themes of grief, loss, joy, healing, and mourning. Artists may call upon personal experience, investigate cultural and spiritual traditions, or approach the themes from a conceptual perspective.
To celebrate the high quality and breadth of work being created in our region, Contemporary Craft is limiting this call to craft artists based within 250 miles of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, or who have a strong connection to the region. Both emerging and mid-career artists are encouraged to apply. A small group of artists will be selected, with each artist showing multiple artworks (dependent on scale).
Artists may apply with existing and new artwork. Artists planning to create new work in response to the themes should fill out the application section outlining their proposed works, as well as provide representative images of their artwork.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee including Contemporary Craft's Executive Director, Rachel Rearick, Associate Director, Yu-San Cheng, and Exhibition Manager, Kate Dockery.
Application Opens - 12:00pm on Friday, April 7, 2023
Application Deadline - 11:59pm on Tuesday, June 20, 2023
Notification of Accept/Decline - by Tuesday, July 11, 2023
Exhibition Opening - Friday, May 31, 2024
Exhibition Closing - Saturday, August 24, 2024
Artists who are selected for the exhibition will be responsible for one-way transportation of works to Contemporary Craft; Contemporary Craft will pay return transportation costs and insurance. Works must be packed securely and double boxed in reusable containers with thorough re-packing instructions and complete forms for return.
Artists who are selected as finalists will be responsible for insuring their work in transit to Contemporary Craft. Contemporary Craft will insure artworks for the entire exhibition period, storage and during return shipment. Contemporary Craft cannot be held liable for lost or damaged pieces during shipping.
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older, and based within 250 miles of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, OR have a strong connection to the region.
- Works must be original in design.
- Works must be in craft media including but not limited to: wood, metal, fiber, glass, ceramic, found object, and paper.
- Works must respond to the exhibition themes.
- Collaborative applications accepted; all work included must be collaborative.
- Works must have been created in the last two years (created after January 1, 2021).
- Works must be delivered to Contemporary Craft by April 26, 2024.
- Works previously shown at Contemporary Craft are not eligible.
- Works must remain on display for the duration of the exhibition, plus a potential traveling schedule of 1-2 years.
- Artists may submit a minimum of 3 representative images per application, with a maximum of 6 images.
- Artists planning to create new work in response to the themes should fill out the section outlining their proposed works, and provide representative images as examples.
- Artists must submit an Image Script which includes the following for each image:
- Retail price (works may be NFS, but price is required for insurance purposes)
- *Optional* artwork concept description
- Non-refundable Entry Fee* of $30 payable online (PayPal) or via check payable to Contemporary Craft, 5645 Butler Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
Please email Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
*Please contact Contemporary Craft if the application fee is prohibitive.