About the Fellowship:
Education Justice Fellows will work with NEA-NM, the New Mexico Community Schools Statewide Network, community leaders, decisionmakers, local organizers, and educators to develop and act upon grassroots strategies for advancing education justice in the state during a year-long fellowship program. Throughout the fellowship year, fellows will learn about social/racial justice, develop their leadership and coalition-building skills, meet with community activists and grassroots organizers, receive one-on-one coaching and peer-mentoring, and engage with community stakeholders.
The cohort will kick-off the fellowship with an onboarding meeting during Summer Leaders Conference in June 2023. Professional learning and engagement with local affiliates will span August through December. Throughout the first semester, fellows will work closely with local leaders to learn about local level needs and work to identify and pursue an education justice project with local impact. The second semester of the fellowship will be dedicated to fellows who submitted a project proposal. Pending approval, fellows will receive funding support to implement their project in collaboration with their local affiliate.
- Employed as an educator, administrator, or other education staff or be enrolled in an education (or education-adjacent) university program
- Resident of New Mexico-Committed to the pursuit of social and racial justice in education
- Ability to commit to up to 20 hours of fellowship-related activities per month (note: this is an upper threshold, actual time commitment will vary by month)
- Special consideration will be given to aspiring educators, early career educators, and ESPs
- Membership in NEA-NM is required (if you are not yet a member, please join by clicking here: https://nea-nm.org/join-now/
- Must fill and submit this application form by March 31, 2023 at 23:59.
Hear what Cohort 1 had to say about their Fellowship experience at this link.
SYLLABUS (DATES, MEETING TIMES, COURSE RELATED MATERIALS)
Syllabus link here
Application Final Deadline March 31, 2023 at 23:59.
Completed application form, including excellent responses to essay questions
Reference contact information