The Nominating Committee Consultant is an agriculture teacher who will assist the Nominating Committee with deliberations as a non-voting adult. The Nominating Committee Consultant shall work with the Nominating Committee Advisor in monitoring the State Officer Candidates. While they are not involved in the interviews nor do they make any specific recommendations on the selection of candidates, the Nominating Committee Consultant provides advice and support to the committee. The student committee ultimately has full decision-making power.
This is a one-year volunteer opportunity for a current agriculture teacher.
The Individual selected for this opportunity has a relatively large time commitment before and during the State FFA Leadership Conference. This includes periodic conference calls with the State FFA Advisor and the nominating committee in January and February.
The Nominating Committee Consultant would need to arrive in the Leadership Conference city by 9:00am on Wednesday, prior to the start of the State Leadership Conference, and remain at the conference through the closing session. Each day will be full, with interviews typically lasting from early in the morning until late at night. It is imperative the selection process is a priority and the main commitment while at the State FFA Leadership Conference.
To be considered for the role of a Nominating Committee Consultant, individuals must meet the following qualifications:
· Minimum five years in the classroom as an agriculture teacher.
· Strong knowledge of the role of a State FFA officer.
· Understand the structure of FFA and agricultural education.
· A strong understanding of agriculture and issues surrounding the industry.
· Demonstrate proficiency in leadership, listening, professionalism and time management.
· Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality before, during and after selection process.
· Willingness to explore personal biases and devise strategies to identify and interrupt those biases.
· Ability to maintain an incredibly high level of stamina with long hours and maintain full attention for prolonged periods of time.
· Commitment to fostering a fair and equitable process for all candidates.
· Willingness to work alongside a team of students, past State Officer and the State FFA Advisor in a respectful and productive manner.
· Agree to stay in the same hotel as the Nominating Committee and State Officer candidates.
· Assist in supervising the Nominating Committee members and State Officer candidates. (i.e. conducting room checks)
California FFA is unable to consider candidates if they are related to or personally/professionally associated with a current State FFA officer candidate (examples include close friend, coach, employer, former teacher, classmate, teammate, etc.)
Applications must be submitted by December 1 at 5:00pm. After the application deadline has closed, the State FFA Advisor will review all applications and select the individual to serve as the Nominating Committee Consultant. The preference will be, over time, to include agriculture teachers from all six regions.
Individual selected will be notified by December 15.
Deadline: December 1, 2022 by 5:00pm.