The Heart of the Matter
Presented by Soren Jepsen, Periodontist, Chair of the Department of Periodontology, Helen Minnery, RDH, & Anna Norhammar, Cardiologist, Professor of Cardiology
You must achieve a passing score of 80% on the ten content questions related to the course you just viewed. If you do not pass on the first try, you do have the opportunity to try again. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
1. Where was the PAROKRANK study participants geographically located?
2. From a global perspective both diabetes and severe periodontitis share a similar prevalence.
3. The PAROKRANK study demonstrated undetected diabetes has an independent association with severe periodontitis and what other condition?
Low blood pressure
4. What are some of the cardiovascular risk factors?
All of the above
5. Atherosclerosis and periodontitis are unidirectional, moving in which direction?
From the vessel to the mouth
From the mouth to the vessel
From the mouth to the nerve
6. What is the early state of atherosclerosis?
7. Based on the observational evidence in the consensus report from Sanz et al. (2020), poor oral hygiene is associated with an increased risk for Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease (ACVD).
8. Delivering perio treatment is safe with regard to cardiovascular risk in patients with established CVD.
9. Based on the European Workshop on Periodontitis and Cardiovascular Disease, what should patients with periodontitis be advised of?
They are at a higher risk for CVD and should actively manage their cardiovascular risk factors.
There is no increased risk for CVD and routine visits to an endocrinologist is recommended.
They are at a higher risk for CVD and to be aware of possible CVD risk factors.
10. In people with CVD, if periodontitis is diagnosed, why should non-surgical periodontal therapy preferably be in several 30-45 minute sessions?
Minimize a spike in blood pressure
Minimize risk of blood clots
Minimize a spike of acute systemic inflammation
Type a question
6 Evaluation Questions
No wrong answers!
1. Course objectives were accomplished.
2. Course content was up-to-date, useful, and well-organized.
3. Instructor demonstrated a comprehensive knowledge of the subject.
4. Course administration was efficient and convenient.
5. Overall, I would rate this course.
6. Please note any additional comments.
Should be Empty: