Thank you for your interest in learning how to write and publish a teen anthology of short stories. The ultimate goal . . . learning how to give voice to stories that matter!
Guidelines and Details
1. The class is focused on writing and publishing fictional short stories. The theme of the anthology will be decided during the group coaching session. Creativity encouraged!
2. All stories must be original, written by the teen author. No part of the creative stories should be taken from any other written or spoken source.
3. All stories must be "clean"—without profanity, the use of God's name in vain, or graphic violence. Think "G" or "PG" ratings, please.
3. Final stories must be between 5,000 and 7,500 words.
4. We will request an author headshot for the interior of the book, but this is not mandatory. Parents/guadians will need to sign a release for us to publish the teens' names, images, and short bios.
5. The first twelve (12) authors to submit this form will be offered a slot. If needed, we will maintain a waitlist in the event an author backs out or does not submit their final short story by June 1, 2023. We require a minimum of six (6) writers to publish.
6. The fee is $499, due at the time of registration. An email will be sent with an invoice once you register. The course fee is fully refundable by March 5, 2023 should a writer withdraw from the course by then. There is a 50% refund available should an author withdraw from the course by March 25, 2023 and there are still at least six (6) writers remaining. Otherwise, there is a 25% refund.
What the Teen Writers (Soon Authors!) will Receive
1. One (1) group coaching session with Cortney Donelson, editor and best-selling ghostwriter.
2. Two (2) individual coaching sessions with Cortney Donelson.
3. Full editing services for their short story.
4. Information about publishing.
5. Two (2) author copies of the final, published anthology*.
The submission window is open from January 15, 2023 to March 1, 2023.
The group coaching session will be scheduled for early March. Individual coaching sessions will be scheduled as teen writers submit their drafts (these coaching sessions will be available from mid-March to early May). The earlier the teens submit their first drafts, the more coaching options will be available to fit their schedules.
Final stories and headshots/bios will be due from the teen writers by May 31, 2023.
Editing/proofeading will be completed by September 1, 2023.
Approvals from teen writers/parents on final drafts will be due by September 15, 2023.
The book will be in design/production in October 2023.
Release Day (projected) is November 7, 2023 (just in time to buy as holiday gifts!).
*If less than six writers finish the course, vocem LLC will determine if a final, published anthology is feasible at that time. If not, a $25 refund will be provided to the writers since no final book will be distributed.
**This timeline may change at any time.