Residence Don Training
1. Successful candidates will be required to move into residence in the third weekend in August to begin an intensive period of training, planning, and preparation prior to the general student population arrives.
2. Successful candidates will be required to be present for Move In Day and Orientation week, to attend and support the Dean's Office as required prior to the start of classes.
3. Attendance will be required at two in-service training sessions (in October and in January), which will occur on a Saturday.
4. All Dons must be first aid certified by the time they start their tenure in August. St. Michael's College will reimburse training costs up to $120 with a valid receipt.
Time Commitment Expectations
Below is a general guideline of what a Don can expect to commit to,in an average month, though it may vary depending on the time of year, or a community's specific needs:
Student Support (12 - 25 hours/month)
- Responding to on-going and new student concerns
- Mediating House issues and complaints
- Student outreach & engagement
Student One-on-Ones (8 - 12 hours/month)
- Intentional student support meetings
Residence Programs (12 - 18 hours/month)
- Office Hours
- Residence community building program
- Passive programming implementation
- Residence or constituency-wide programs
Meetings (4 hours/month)
- House meetings
- One on one meetings with the Assistant Dean, Residence Life
- Full team meetings
- Constituency team meetings
Residence Don Remuneration
In return for your services as a Residence Don, you will receive:
1. Room and board for the 2023-2024 Academic Year; including a single room with an ensuite washroom, and a 7-day meal plan for St. Michael's College dining hall,
2. USMC Residence Don Apparel
3. University of Toronto Co-Curricular Record (CCR) recognition
4. Don Training, including SafeTALK and other transferrable training