DofE Online Canoe Training: Catch-up from Week 7 - Project & Route Planning
Familiarise yourself with DofE's 20 Conditions for the Expedition Section (which you can download here: https://www.craigalmondscouts.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/20-Conditions-of-the-Expedition-section.pdf) and answer the following questions:
1. Condition #4 says how many participants can be in a team. Which of the following team sizes would be allowed to undertake their expedition in canoes/kayaks (tick all that apply):
2. Using Condition #7, what's the minimum amount of planned activity per day (journeying + project work) for a GOLD expedition?
3. Using Conditions #7 and #18, what's the minimum number of times (in total) that a team needs to prepare a hot meal on a SILVER expedition?
4. To satisfy Condition #20, which of the following suggestions for doing a project presentation would be suitable (tick all that apply):
Team presentation using Powerpoint on Zoom
A small group talking to their Explorer Unit & Leaders about their project
An individual paddler giving a presentation to the Expedition Leaders
Making a poster and describing its contents at a DofE event
5. Which Condition states that you need an Aim (i.e. a Project) for your expedition?
Have a think about ideas for a Project so that you can discuss these with your teammates and make a decision.
Preparing useful Route Cards for each day of your expedition is really important. You'll spend time at 2 training sessions getting some help with planning your route and preparing Route Cards in your teams. You have access to OS maps for the whole of the UK and a Route Card tool through eDofE Mapping. It would be good to familiarise yourself with eDofE Mapping by doing a dummy route, to see how the software works.
6. List at least 3 reasons why Route Cards are useful / important:
7. Route Cards for Expeditions are always made for the teams by the Leaders.
8. Route Cards need to be checked by the Leaders, and given to the Assessor a few days before the Expedition.
9. Suggest what information in a Route Card will be most helpful to you on your expedition:
10. In the map above, give a 6-figure grid reference of where the power lines cross Loch Ken that would be a great waypoint to use in a Route Card for an expedition along the loch.
Should be Empty:
Now create your own Jotform - It's free!
Create your own Jotform