The IRS requires tax return preparers to complete a due diligence checklist with all income tax returns that contain certain credits and deductions, with steep penalties for noncompliance. Your return qualifies for the following special credits/deductions; therefore, it is imperative you read and understand this entire document. YOUR RETURN WILL NOT BE FINALIZED UNTIL YOU ANSWER EACH QUESTION BELOW AND SIGN AND RETURN THIS DOCUMENT TO US.
CHILD TAX CREDIT:
In order for you to qualify for this credit, your dependent child must meet ALL OF the following requirements:
- Be under age 17 at the end of 2022 (if 17 or older, please select tab OTHER DEPENDENT CREDIT).
- Have a social security number that is valid for employment and issued before the due date of this tax return.
- Be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendent of any of them.
- Did not provide greater than half of his or her own support for the year.
- Lived with you for more than half of 2022 (except for temporary absences for school, vacation, medical care, or juvenile detention).
- Is claimed as a dependent on your tax return.
- Does not file a joint return for the year.
- Was a US citizen, national, or resident alien.
If the child did not live with you greater than half of the year, even if you supported the child, you may not claim the child tax credit for that child, unless the custodial parent has released to you a claim for exemption of the child for this tax year using Form 8332 which is attached to the tax return.
For children of divorced or separated parents, the child will be treated as the custodial child of the parent with whom they lived the greater number of nights during the year. If the number of nights was equal, the custodial parent is the parent with the higher adjusted gross income. An exception is if the custodial parent signed a Form 8332 to release the claim for exemption of the child for this tax year, and that form is attached to the tax return.
PLEASE ANSWER ALL OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS: