The objective of our Foundation’s Scholarship program is to provide scholarships to college students who major in agriculture, agri-business, or an ag-related course of study. The number and dollar amount of scholarships awarded each year will vary depending upon the number of applications received and availability of funds. In 2022, eleven (11) students received a total of $13,500 from scholarships ranging in value from $750 to $1,500.
The Marion CFB Foundation also administers a $1,000 Berniece Swan Memorial Scholarship for the family of Berniece Swan, past employee of the Marion County Farm Bureau. Applicants can receive this scholarship (1 time) in addition to a regular Foundation Scholarship. Applicants only need to complete one application to be considered for either, or both, scholarships.
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant must:
- Be a high school graduate or graduating in 2023
- Be a Marion CFB member, spouse, or child of a member (minimum 2-years)
- Be accepted for enrollment (or enrolled) at a post-secondary school (good toward BS, no graduate study)
- Exhibit potential for successful completion of course study
- Be a resident of Illinois
- Not be an immediate relative (spouses, children, and parents) of the members and spouses of the Foundation's Scholarship Review Committee
- Past recipients may reapply, but no student may win more than two (2) scholarships from the Marion County Farm Bureau Foundation. However, the Swan Memorial Scholarship is open to all applicants even if you have won 2 scholarships in the past from the Foundation.
The criteria for awarding the scholarship are as follows:
- Academic performance and honors
- Rank in Class
- ACT/SAT Score
- Demonstrated interest in agriculture or related field
- Special consideration given to students entering a field of study that is PRIMARILY production agriculture or agri-business
- Financial need
- Evidence of self-help. How is the student contributing financially to their education?
- Character and personality
- Industriousness and motivation
- Intellectual interest
- Moral character
- Demonstrated leadership
In order to be considered, all applicants must submit/upload:
- Online Application
- Digital head shot (photo) of high quality
- High School transcript complete with ACT/SAT Score
- College transcript (if applicable)
- Teacher’s recommendation (minimum of 1, maximum of 2)
Completed applications and supporting materials must be submitted online by midnight on March 15, 2023.
Thank you for your interest in the Marion County Farm Bureau Foundation and Berniece Swan Memorial Scholarships!
Steven Brummel, President
Marion County Farm Bureau Foundation