Mr. Julius Pegues was a member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Tulsa and was a significant leader, teacher and mentor in the Tulsa community. He contributed to the education of not only the African American community, but was an advocate for the education of all Tulsa students. Named in his memory, the Julius Pegues Scholarship of the Arkansas-Oklahoma Synod will, once funded, award scholarships annually to post-secondary students of African Descent who are nominated by an Ark-OK congregation.
Purpose: The Arkansas-Oklahoma Synod awards a scholarship to college-bound high school seniors or students currently enrolled in college based on demonstrated academic achievement, community/extracurricular involvement, and leadership.
Scholarship Guidelines: Recipients will be awarded a one-time scholarship in the amount of $1,500 to be distributed prior to the first semester of college. Scholarships will be disbursed directly to the student only after proof of enrollment and a class schedule have been received.
Requirements: Current high school seniors with plans to enroll in an undergraduate program or students currently enrolled in a four-year college or university may apply. To be considered, ALL the following must be submitted: a completed Scholarship Application form with attachments as described below, official transcript of grades and test scores (HS), a letter of nomination from a congregation of the Ark-OK Synod, and a letter of recommendation (counselor/administrator or teacher or professor).
- GPA of 3.0 or better on the 4-point scale
- SAT or ACT scores
- Official Transcript in a sealed envelope
- Typed essay of 500 words or less on thetheme, “My Commitment to My Community”
- Letter of recommendation from theschool in which you are currentlyenrolled
- Letter of recommendation from amember of an Ark-OK Synodcongregation
- Attach a recent photo
- Incomplete applications will not bereviewed
- African American applicants must begraduating high school seniors or collegestudents who are residents of Arkansas orOklahoma
- All documents submitted with theapplication must be originals whereapplicable
- Submit applications with supportingdocuments uploaded no later than March 24, 2023.