Dear 2023 CATS Candidate,
Members of the College Age TI Staff (CATS) are a vital part of the success of the Lindsey Meyer Teen Institute. CATS are individuals who are ages 18-22 and have graduated High School. CATS may or may not have attended a Teen Institute program in the past and serve as leaders and role models for current participants. CATS undergo an extensive interview, application, and training process to make them into the TI experts they are. So much of the success of LMTI depends on volunteer staff – including our college age volunteers! Each year we select individuals from throughout the state to serve as CATS.
Kitten Clause (Claws): Those who have graduated high school but are not a year out from school at this time, previously would have to wait until the next year to apply.
This year... we are accepting Kitty CATS! College-aged individuals who have graduated high school are all welcome to apply! If you are not a year out from school - you MUST have attended an LMTI Leadership Conference previously.
For our younger CATS, they will have the opportunity to receive additional support and mentorship from more senior CATS and the CATS Coordinators!
• Are alcohol, tobacco, and other drug free
• Understand that they are role models
• Are open to learning & growth
• Strive to understand and appreciate the diverse experiences of others
• Are not all the same!
Some responsibilities of a CATS include….
- Developing programming content including skits and workshops
- Assisting with group facilitation (Action Group and Process Group)
- Acting as a cabin chaperon
- Undergoing 4 mandatory training sessions for preparation (in addition to Sunday staff training at camp)
- Attending all 5 days of LMTI Summer Leadership Conference
**Please note – Not every CATS member is the same! New Jersey is diverse and our CATS reflects that diversity. We look for a mix of individuals who are both “in front of the scenes” and “behind the scenes” individuals. If you’ve enjoyed your previous experiences at TI and/or are looking for an advanced leadership role, we hope you will consider applying to be a member of the CATS.
Please email Kira Chontow at Kchontow@pipnj.org or contact the LMTI office at 201-552-2264 if you have any questions. Best of luck!
- The LMTI Staff and the CATS Selection Committee