This Rochester University Residence Life Housing Contract (“Contract”) is made between Rochester University (“The University”) and the Student (“Student/student”) for the use of University housing under the conditions set forth in this Agreement.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING ROCHESTER UNIVERSITY HOUSING TERMS AND CONDITIONS THOROUGHLY. YOU MUST AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IN ORDER TO LIVE IN OUR RESIDENCE HALLS. IF YOU AGREE, CLICK THE “I AGREE” BUTTON TO SUBMIT THIS FORM.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. PERIOD OF CONTRACT: This Agreement is effective during the 2023-2024 academic year.
2. CANCELLATION BY
a. THE STUDENT: Students may terminate this Agreement upon withdrawal from the University or the residence halls. Residents must follow the proper check out procedures, and Residence Life Staff must check the room for any potential room damages. Equipment and furnishings are to be in order and in the same condition as when room occupancy began. The room will be clean and free of trash; key(s) and completed Room Inventory Form will be submitted electronically before departure.
Refunds for Residential Students: Students who live on campus and pay for room and board but subsequently choose to commute or to withdraw completely will receive a refund based on the Refund Schedule - Full Semester Courses chart. No refunds are granted for meals that were unused prior to the move-out or withdrawal date. There are no refunds on room and board after Day 21 of the semester start date.
b. THE UNIVERSITY: Failing to abide by the terms of this Agreement or University rules and regulations as published in the student handbook may result in the loss of the Student’s housing and dining privileges. The University also reserves the right to temporarily suspend room/board due to COVID-19 State, Federal and/or CDC guidelines or mandates. A temporary suspension of room/board may or may not result in a refund to residential students.
3. ROOM ASSIGNMENTS: The Student will indicate their top preferences as part of the application process. The University will attempt to honor the Student’s preference for a particular roommate, room, and location; however, the University cannot guarantee that the Student will receive the top preference. The University reserves the right to change housing assignments at any time.
4. RESPONSIBILITY FOR ROOMS: The Student who enters into this contract is fully responsible for the assigned living area. This includes, but is not limited to, responsibility for excessive cleaning or damage charges, lost keys, and all activity by the contracted Student and visitors/guests in the assigned living area.
5. ROOM INSPECTION: The University reserves the right to enter and search any area to inspect the facility for purposes of management, health, safety, and compliance with institutional and housing policies.
6. RESPONSIBILITY FOR PUBLIC AREAS: The Student will take precautions to ensure that all public areas and community property are maintained in good condition. Residents of a particular floor or hall are collectively responsible for damages to public areas and community property therein if the person liable for damages is not identified. The Student shall not remove any community property from a public area.
7. KEYS: The Student will be issued a room key and mailbox key upon check in. The Student is responsible for the security of those keys and for securing the assigned mailbox and room at all times. If the Student’s keys are lost or stolen, charges for a replacement key will be assessed to the Student.
8. KEY CARD: The Student will be issued a Student ID, which will serve as a keycard for the residence hall and dining privileges. The Student’s keycard and dining privileges may not be used by anyone other than the assigned Student.
9. QUARANTINE AND/OR SELF-ISOLATION: Residents will quarantine and/or self-isolate at their off-campus residence whenever possible. The University has limited quarantine and/or self-isolation campus space available should temporary off-campus housing not be available. Residents in need of quarantine or self-isolation must abide by campus COVID-19 precautions and regulations set by RU's COVID Care Team and Preparedness & Response Team.
10. HEALTH, SANITATION, AND WELLNESS CHECKS: The University reserves the right to enter and search any area to inspect the facility for purposes of management, health, safety, and compliance with institutional housing policies. The purpose of these inspections is to identify and address any health, safety, sanitation, and/or maintenance issues in student rooms. These checks encourage students to be engaged in maintaining a clean and safe living environment and promote a better understanding of the expectations the University has for students living on-campus.
11. COMPLIANCE WITH UNIVERSITY POLICIES: Residence Life Staff from each residence hall are responsible for carrying out administrative duties as well as enforcing policies initiated by the University. The Student agrees to abide by the University's policies and regulations, including those outlined in the Rochester University Student Handbook.
12. STUDENT AGREES: The above information is true, accurate, and complete. The Student also understands that any false statements or deliberate omissions on this document may be grounds for disqualifying the Student’s access to Rochester University Student Housing. The Student agrees to observe and abide by all Federal, State of Michigan, local laws, and the Rochester University Student Handbook, which outlines its policies and terms and conditions.
13. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RISK: I acknowledge that residing in University housing entails known and unanticipated risks related to communicable disease, including, but not limited to COVID-19 and health consequences due to such exposure or infection. I understand that such risks may vary based on housing arrangements, including room occupancy, bathroom configurations, and shared spaces such as kitchens. I understand that these risks cannot be eliminated. I also understand that I cannot be guaranteed that I will not contract a communicable disease, including COVID-19, while residing in University housing.
By placing your mark in the checkbox provided and clicking the “I Agree” button you are acknowledging that you have read, understood, and accepted the terms of the Rochester University Residence Life Housing Contract Addendum for the 2023-2024 Academic Year.