Call for Entry
Project Title: Our 2nd Century - The Climb Continues
Prize: Winning Artist receives $1000 cash prize, People’s Choice Winner receives $250
Deadline for Submissions: March 31, 2023
Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is pleased to invite the Pikes Peak Region artist community to celebrate the 101st running of the historic and iconic motorsports event.
Artists submitting artwork will be asked to consider the theme of this year’s race in their artwork: “Our 2nd Century – The Climb Continues.” This year’s theme looks back on a century of racing while looking forward to the next 100 years of motorsport on Pikes Peak - America’s Mountain. Every year the Pikes Peak International Hill Climbs brings local, national and international media exposure to the Pikes Peak Region showcasing much of what makes this a great place to live and vacation
This year’s program:
- One winning artist will be chosen by a committee designated by the PPIHC Executive Director. Interviews may be requested.
- Four Honorable Mention artists will be also chosen by the committee.
- The People’s Choice Award will be a popular vote conducted online, social media, and at Fan Fest.
- Winners will be announced and featured on PPIHC social media and PR.
Artwork Reproduction and Display
- Winning artwork reproductions will be used to create various print media related to race promotion including but not limited to: larger-than-life installations, on billboards, banners, merch, and limited edition commemorative posters/items. These will be shared with the community as visual reminders of a highly visible collaboration of art & motorsports. Artists will be given credit on any reproductions of their artwork.
- Winning artwork will be displayed at various community locations (TBA) during the month of June, including PPIHC Fan Fest in Downtown Colorado Springs, and at Penrose Heritage Museum from July 1, 2023 – January 1, 2024.
- The winner’s cash prize also includes compensation for licensing the image to the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb to reproduce the artwork as part of the project. PPIHC will retain ownership and copyright of the artwork worldwide, for unlimited usage, and in perpetuity.
- Open to all ages
- Professional, Amateur, and Student Submissions welcome
- Live in or have very strong ties to the Pikes Peak Region
- Artists are expected to cover all expenses for materials, supplies, labor, photography, and equipment needed to complete and ship/deliver their artwork and a high-quality digital photograph of it for reproduction purposes. This includes the copyright permissions of any 3rd party intellectual property.
- Selected artists may be asked to speak with news media as well as to appear in PPIHC photos, videos, and the 2023 PPIHC souvenir race program, as well as at various PPIHC events for promotion of their artwork.
Completed artwork should adhere to the following standards:
- Measurements: A height to width ratio of 2:3 with 16” x 24” being the smallest and 24” x 36” being the largest. Any framing should not increase the overall size by more than 1.5”.
- Required text: The words The Climb Continues must appear prominently in the artwork.
- Weight: No more than 30 lbs.
- Hanging: Must be delivered ready to hang using picture wire, D-rings or other standard methods.
- Materials: All art entries should be two-dimensional (3D art is not eligible)
- Framing: If your artwork requires framing for protection, frames should be minimal and simple. PPIHC will discuss framing with the artists selected to participate.
- Content: Artwork should be appropriate for all audiences.
For questions, e-mail: email@example.com
The project will follow this timeline:
January 31, 2023 – Contest announced and open for submission
March 31, 2023 – Submissions Deadline
April 14, 2023 – Winners Chosen
June 2023 – Artwork on display and in distribution (specific dates and locations TBA)
June 25, 2023 – 101st Running of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb