Please proceed to next page if you are not registering as a contestant.
Contestants, please read the following:
REGULATIONS FOR THE OIPA PUBLIC SPEAKING CONTEST
1. Any OIPA member in good standing may compete.
2. The speaker’s topic may be chosen from any of the suggested topics or a
topic of their own choice.
3. The speech shall be of five (5) minutes duration
4. Before the Contest commences, the speakers will draw for order of speeches.
5. Speakers will remain outside the room until it is their turn to speak. In the case of a virtual contest, they will remain in the virtual waiting room.
6. The judges will choose a spokesperson to comment on the speeches.
7. The winner is announced within 2 hours of the last speaker's speech.
8. The winner of the Public Speaking Contest will be barred from competing
until two (2) years has elapsed.
9. Deadline for entries shall be March 15, 2023
10.Acknowledgement of the entry form shall be forwarded to the Events Committee Chair.
1. The timekeeper will be arranged by the Events Committee Chair.
2. The timekeeper will be seated where she/he/they can be seen clearly by the
contestants, virtual or in-person.
3. The timekeeper will have a copy of the Regulations and know the time allotted
4. The timekeeper will have a stopwatch.
5. One minute before the end of time allotted each speaker, the timekeeper will
stand up and remain standing until one minute has expired – and then the
timekeeper will sit down. In the case of a virtual event, the timekeeper will raise their virtual hand.
6. For the benefit of the Judges, at the conclusion of each address, the
timekeeper will announce the actual time taken.
1. The OIPA will provide three (3) judges.
2. During the speeches, the judges will be seated in different parts of the room
and shall not confer with each other, or with any other person, from the time
the Contest starts until the decision has been announced. In the case of a virtual event, this will not apply.
3. Judges will use the Official Worksheet and Ballot of the C.A.I.W.
4. When the judging of each Speaker has been completed, each judge will raise
their hand to notify the Event COmmittee Chair that they are ready to proceed.
5. No speaker shall be penalized for speaking one minute over or under the time
allotted. Excessive overtime or under time, will be penalized by deducting a
maximum of five (5) points for each excessive minute. Deductions shall be
made from the “DELIVERY” section.
6. Apparent reading from a prepared text, other than brief statements obtained
from authoritative sources and statistics, will be penalized by deducting
points from the “DELIVERY” section at the discretion of the judges.
7. Each judge shall fill out the Official Worksheet, total the score of each speaker
and then, according to these totals, give their decision by writing the names of
first, second, and third place winners on the Official Ballot.
8. Judges will render independent decisions designating the winning speaker,
second and third place winners
9. The majority opinion of two (2) judges, as to the winner, will determine the
result, regardless of the point totals made by the three (3) judges. In the
event of a tie, then the total points of the tied speakers shall determine the
winner. If the points total is also tied, then the speaker with the highest points
for the “DELIVERY” section shall be the winner. DELIVERY comprises
VOICE, PHYSICAL, LANGUAGE and MANNER Sections.
10. A suitable gift will be provided by the OIPA for presentation to each Judge.