Congratulations, High School Senior! We are excited you have chosen to attend Michigan State University, the nation’s premier land-grant university and one of the top research universities in the world. MSU provides all Spartans opportunities to reach their full academic and professional potential. Spartans work to solve to global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community. Spartans strive to make a better world.
Michigan State University Black Alumni, Inc. (MSUBA), founded in 1980, is a 501(c)(3) organization. We provide a limited number of scholarships to eligible students who have been accepted to Michigan State University.
This scholarship is awarded in July for the Fall and Spring semesters. Fifty percent of the award is released for the Fall semester, and the other fifty percent is released for the Spring semester.
1. An applicant must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for a scholarship:
- Must have been involved in high school extracurricular activities, community service or have been employed while in school;
- Must have been accepted to MSU for Fall 2023 or Spring 2024;
- Must enroll at MSU for a minimum of 12 credits; and
- Must demonstrate financial need (factors considered include parental income, number of dependents for whom parent(s) is responsible, parental and personal employment status, and other financial assistance. You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with MSU’s Financial Aid office.
2. Must submit the following documents with the completed application:
- Two (2) original letters of reference signed and addressed to MSUBA, Inc.
- All reference letters must be on official letterhead.
- A minimum of one reference letter from a school official (ex: counselor, teacher, principal).
- Reference letters must be from non-family members.
- Letters from family members will not be accepted.
- Letters must be signed with a handwritten signature, title, and contact information if not already on the letterhead.
- A copy of your Letter of Acceptance from MSU (must indicate student ID number)
- Student Aid Report
SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must maintain an overall 2.7 GPA; students below the 2.7 GPA must contact MSUBA for assistance.
- Must enroll and complete a minimum of 12 credits each semester, and
- Must perform and submit documentation 10 hours of documented community service each semester for which you are receiving scholarship assistance from MSUBA.
- Must send thank you letter to the scholarship endowment.
- Must actively engage with the MSU Black Alumni, Inc. Scholarship Student Organization.
All applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm, April 30, 2023. Absolutely no exceptions will be made. Applicants that apply by the deadline will receive an email (via your MSU email address) that their application was received and is being processed by June 1, 2023. Students chosen to receive a scholarship will be notified via MSU email by Monday, July 31, 2023.
Go Green! Go White!
Questions? Email: Scholarship@msuba.org