Coastline Show Chorus is a chapter of Sweet Adelines International, an organization of women’s choruses who perform and compete in the barbershop style. We are a 501c organization. Our chorus has been led by the same director for over 25 years, and we have been international competition medalists during her tenure. Now, upon her retirement, we seek a strong, resourceful director to lead our future.
We find ourselves rebuilding our membership post-pandemic. We have a wonderful membership team, which is highly active in recruitment.
We have a strong music team, which acts as a resource to the director for planning and music selection. We are on a strong financial footing, with our management team managing our resources.
Typically we rehearse once/week year round, with two weeks off in July and three weeks off in December. The chorus also holds coaching sessions, usually on the weekend, that are scheduled in advance. The position includes two paid vacation dates for the director.
- Plan and conduct scheduled chorus rehearsals. Use this time for skills building, repertoire review, and education. Time will also be allotted for the business of the chapter.
- Have primary responsibility for the musical product of the chorus, including selection, interpretation, choreography, staging and packaging
- Motivate the membership toward musical goals. Communicate and educate members so that goals are achievable.
- Organize chorus performances, including program and emcee work. Conduct the performances.
- Create strategy for success at chorus competition, both long and near term. With resources from the chorus, select music, coaches, and costumes. Conduct the chorus at contest.
- Attend scheduled monthly management team and music team meetings via Zoom. This position reports to the management team.
- Strong music background, conversant in music theory
- High degree of experience in choral singing, and preferably, directing.
- Strong demonstrated leadership ability
- Experience in the barbershop style a plus
- The director will be compensated as follows:
- An honorarium of 400 dollars per month.
- 10% of the net of the chorus shows, including annual show, and holiday show
- Receive two paid Wednesdays off per year
- Payment will be made on a monthly basis and all taxes, whether state or Federal, shall be the sole responsibility of the director.
- The chapter will pay 100% of the director’s pre-approved expenses for Regional weekends, International competition, and Internationally sponsored related functions, including skill-building opportunities.
- The chapter will pay the director’s international membership dues and Regional assessments. The director’s chapter dues will be waived.
- The chapter will pay for any costume components for the director.