Welcome! This is the application for the 2023 Green Team Summer Apprenticeship. Please note that the application deadline is Sunday, April 30. This application is for new applicants, those who have never completed the Green Team Apprenticeship before. Returning Green Team members, please use the other form instead.
Details on the Green Team Summer Apprenticeship
The Green Team Youth Corps is a year-round program organized by Groundwork Jacksonville for youth 13-18 to connect to nature while empowering themselves as advocates for themselves, their city and the environment.
The 2023 Green Team Summer Apprenticeship will run in 2023 for 7 weeks from June 5th to July 31st. There will be an optional 8th week for qualified Apprentices, more details TBA.
Stipends start at $825 for the summer for first-year Apprentices and increase for returning Apprentices.
The Green Team Summer Apprenticeship includes an immersive mix of Play, Work, Learn and Serve activities and projects. Work projects this summer will include (but not be limited to) hands-on work building and maintaining urban trails and gardens and leading educational activities for children and community members at local parks. We will also go on meaningful and fun field trips to unique natural areas such as springs, beaches, and forests.
There are two cohorts, each with 8-10 youth and supervised by one Crew Leader and Youth Leader. One cohort will meet on Mondays and Wednesdays and the other on Tuesdays and Thursdays-- you will have some choice of your cohort. Both cohorts will meet together on Fridays and occasional Saturdays. The 4th of July and Juneteenth (June 19) will be holidays. Days will run from 7:15 AM to 3:00 PM.
Who is eligible to Apply?
Must be age 13 - 18 years of age at time of application,
Must live in, attend school, or places of worship within Jacksonville urban core zip codes 32202, 32204, 32206, 32208, 32209, 32254.
What do we look for in our Green Team members?
With reasonable accomodation, we need Green Team members to be:
- Interested in exploring and working in the outdoors, engaging in educational activities with community members, and learning about the local environment and community development;
- Able to safely ride a bicycle for up to 3 miles a day in an urban setting by following safety guidelines provided by Groundwork Jacksonville staff;
Able to check an active email address of theirs at least every day:
- Able to arrive on time every morning at 7:15 AM to our worksite in the Springfield neighborhood of Jacksonville.
Committed to teamwork, safety, follow-through, education, and hard work;
Physically able to work outside for 5 hours, often in adverse conditions; handle tools, lift objects, and participate in required reflection time after each work day;
Culturally aware of self, others, and community, or willing to learn to be culturally aware;
Willing and able to verbally express ideas, issues, and needs to team and community members;
Ready to demonstrate workplace skills of teamwork, professionalism, and leadership along with a positive attitude, enthusiasm, and energy;
A self-starter, shows and demonstrates a desire to learn, grow, and maximize personal potential.
What do I need to have in my application?
- All of the following components of the application must be submitted on time on the Jotform application. The interview will be separately scheduled after we read your applications.
- Part 1: Basic Information
- Part 2: Application Questions. Please provide thoughtful written responses to each of these questions. Your answers should show effort and be in full sentences.
- Part 3: Nominator and References
- Provide 3 references. References should be an adult that you have worked with in the past and can give an honest evaluation of your skills and accomplishments. This can include a coach, teacher, employer, pastor, or mentor. It is very important to note that references can NOT be family members/related to you.
- 1 reference from a nominator. As well as acting as a reference, a nominator will be your point of contact to support you in completing this application. The nominator can also be the person who recommended this program to you.
- 2 references from other adults.
- Part 4: Parent or Guardian Permission
- Parental consent, including completion of the FERPA Parent Permission Form on Duval Homeroom.
February 2023: Green Team Apprenticeship Applications open
April 27: Final application deadline for Green Team Summer Apprenticeship
April to May: We will review applications and schedule interviews as they come in.
Mid April to Mid May: Recieve a final decision from us. If you want an earlier decision, please apply earlier as earlier applications will recieve earlier interviews and decisions. We will send out decisions to both accepted applications and to those we are not able to accept at this time.
Friday June 9 - Saturday July 29: Green Team Summer Apprenticeship
Schedule dates and times are subject to change.
Have questions? Email or call Oscar Psychas, Youth Program Manager, at email@example.com or (352)339-8744 Please normally call only during business hours, although he will be available by email and cell on Sunday April 30th in case of any last-minute application issues.