INSTRUCTIONS: Applicants must input the information below and upload all documents, photographs, etc. as requested. Incomplete applications will be returned.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, March 31, 2023, at 5:00 PM.
HAVE QUESTIONS? NEED ASSISTANCE COMPLETING THE APPLICATION? Contact Chrissy Erb, Director, Essex Development Initiative at 443-317-8763 x 102 or email@example.com.
About the Grant
This Essex Façade Improvement Grant aims to stimulate investment in improvements to building frontages in the Essex commercial district and, ultimately, improve the economic vitality of the area. The goal is to create an attractive and inviting commercial/retail area that encourages regular use by residents and visitors. It is funded by a Community Legacy Grant from Maryland’s Department of Housing and Community Development.
Through this grant, funding is being provided to cover up to $10,000 in costs per business/non-profit location for approved exterior renovations. Funds are limited and must be utilized quickly. As such, funding will be prioritized for “shovel ready” projects and those which are fully funded with the help of this grant. In rare instances, the funding amount may exceed the advertised limit if a strong case can be made for an exception.
- Owners of commercial/retail properties located in the Essex Sustainable Communiy Area.
- Business owners/Non-profits leasing space in commercial/retail properties located in the Essex Sustainable Community Area.
- Only one Essex Façade Improvement Grant can be awarded per business/non-profit location per year.
- Our funding source prevents us from supporting projects for the following types of businesses: pawn shops, gun shops, tanning salons, massage parlors, adult video/book shops, adult entertainment facilities, check cashing facilities, gambling facilities, tattoo parlors, and liquor stores.
- Applicants must be licensed/registered to do business in the State of Maryland and be in good standing.
- Funds must be used for exterior improvements only.
- Work must be done on street elevations visible from public spaces or parking lots.
- Funding is provided through partial reimbursement to applicants and direct payments to contractors who are completing improvements on an approved property/building.
All improvements must conform to the Baltimore County building codes, zoning regulations, and/or public accessibility requirements, the Maryland Historic Trust (if applicable), and to criteria developed for this program.
All development plans for Essex also must be submitted, reviewed, and approved by Baltimore County’s Design Review Panel.
All appropriate permits and other approvals must be obtained by the applicant prior to and throughout the construction process.
All work must be completed by licensed and insured professionals.
For Examples of Eligible Improvements, visit www.chesapeakechamber.org-grant-opportunities.