Parent/Guardian Code Of Conduct
The International Soap Box Derby, Inc. has implemented the following Parent/Guardian Code of Conduct for the important message it holds about the proper role of parents in supporting their child in racing. Parents MUST read, understand and sign this form prior to their children participating in our races.
I understand that any action inconsistent with this Code of Conduct or any failure to take action mandated by this Code of Conduct may result in my immediate removal from the facility. I also understand that I may be suspended from following events pending a review by the Conduct Committee of the ISBD. Repeat violations may cause forfeiture of the privilege of attending all events. I acknowledge and agree that the Derby has the complete and absolute discretion to make a determination as to this issue and its decision shall be final and binding. I therefore agree:
1. I will not force my child to participate in Soap Box Derby racing.
2. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the activity is for youth, not adults.
3. I will inform the Race Director of any physical disabil- ity or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
4. I will learn the rules and policies of the organization.
5. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for partici- pants, officials and spectators at every race or any related event.
6. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, racer, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
7. I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well being of the participants, officials and spectators.
8. I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
9. I will demand that my child treat other participants, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
10. I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a race or his/her performance.
11. I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
12. I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
13. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also de-emphasize races and competition in the lower age groups.
14. I will promote the emotional and physical wellbeing of the racers ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
15. I will respect the officials and their authority during races and will never question, discuss, or confront others at the race track, and will take time to speak with officials at an agreed upon time and place.
16. I will demand an environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all events.
17. I acknowledge and agree that any decisions of the officials of the Soap Box Derby shall be final and binding upon me and my child in all respects and at all times.