The Office of City Commissioners is establishing our language access advisory committee. The purpose of this committee is to provide guidance, recommendations, and feedback to the Office of City Commissioners on our Language Access program.
The committee comprises Philadelphia residents representing:
- 1 member from the Office of Immigrant Affairs (OIA) serving as an ex-officio member;
- 1 at-large member representing groups advocating for voting rights and language access;
- 2 members of the Spanish-speaking community;
- 2 members of the Chinese-speaking community;
- 3-6 members of other communities included in the City Commissioners' 2022 Language Access Expansion Motion
We're seeking members with deep roots in Philadelphia communities to preview our expanded materials, evaluate the quality of translations, and provide input on election-related needs and requests for LEP (Limited English Proficiency) voters. It's our hope that the committee can help identify gaps and barriers to language access, suggest strategies for improving language services, and promote effective communication and equal access to services for all individuals, regardless of their language proficiency.