If you are a high school graduating senior and live in the toll-free calling area of Des Moines and Boone, Iowa, you are eligible to apply for this scholarship. To be considered, you MUST do all of the following:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Submit an application online or print the application and submit a typed application via the U.S. postal service.
- Submit two (2) letters of reference from individuals who are not relatives.
At least one letter of reference must be from a current or former teacher.
Letters should include specifics on the student's academic performance, how they adapt socially and their overall attitude about school and their future
- Submit an OFFICIAL copy of your high school transcript from the registrar.
- Copies WILL NOT be accepted if they state “Issued to the student.” The transcript should identify your African American or Black heritage.
- Submit a typed one page essay discussing your future plans and why you feel you deserve the Helen Lemme Scholarship. The essay should be 1 page. Essays should be typed using Times New Roman, 12-point font, and double spaced.
- Submit a recent photograph along with the consent to publish.
- Participate in a ZOOM interview.
If you submit your application via mail, you can mail your essay, transcript, and letters of reference to the address listed below.
You will receive a confirmation email once all parts of your application are received.
Des Moines Alumnae Chapter
Scholarship Committee Attn: Maria J. Barnes
P.O. Box 4706
Des Moines, IA 50305
The application packet must be submitted online or postmarked on or before April 23, 2023
For additional information, contact Maria J. Barnes at email@example.com