Geeking Out Kids of Color (GOKiC) empowers students of color and allies with an education in computer science so that YOU can use technology to help make a positive impact in YOUR community. We believe that once you know how to code, there are NO LIMITS to your imagination!
- Carlos Vallejo, Manager, email@example.com, 619-549-6688
Ana Mendoza Ramos, firstname.lastname@example.org, 206-229-5640
GOKiC RULES & EXPECTATIONS
These rules are basic expectations of everyone who participates in GOKiC. Individual classes may set additional rules or norms, which students are expected to follow.
General Student Expectations
- GOKiC is a collaborative community of learners. Your classmates depend on your physical and mental presence in the classroom. You are expected to not be absent.
- Respect your educators, GOKiC staff, GOKiC visitors, your classmates, and yourself
- Respect the property and personal space of GOKiC, GOKiC educators, other students and visitors
- Cell phones, MP3 players, handheld game consoles, and other personal electronics should be turned off or placed on silent mode and stored away during class time, unless they are in use as part of a planned class activity
- No food or drink anywhere unless permitted by the teacher or as established by class norms.
- No violence, fighting, horseplay or physical banter.
- No profanity, derogatory, hateful or violent language.
- No weapons of any kind
Computer Use Rules
- A GOKiC laptop may sometimes be offered if necessary for program purposes.
Students are expected to handle laptops and related equipment with care. Physical damage to a laptop will result in fines to the student responsible for the damage.
- All internet browsing conducted in GOKiC is expected to be related to the classroom activities
- Online games may be played only during times allowed by the teacher, or if game playing is a part of the classroom activity
- No instant messaging, personal email, chatting, or social networks unless explicit permission is given or it is part of the assigned activity. No Facebook!
- No cyberbullying. Students found to be using GOKiC equipment to bully others online will be put into a restorative justice circle to dig deep into the issue and find a solution.
- Do not download files onto your GOKiC laptop unless explicit permission is given by the teacher or staff
- No using GOKiC’s software or materials to make offensive, violent, or otherwise inappropriate content
If a student needs to take medication during GOKiC program hours, it must be prescribed by a doctor and be in a sealed container with the pharmacy label attached, with instructions. Submit any allergy or medical situation that GOKiC should be aware of in the Medical Release form attached to this handout.
GOKiC is committed to youth regardless of race, color, religion, disability, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
STUDENT ONLINE TECHNOLOGY & SERVICES RELEASE
- Students using registration-required websites are expected to act safely by keeping personal or overly identifying information off of their websites. Students may share their interests, ideas, and student work completed in GOKiC.
- Students using registration-required websites agree to not share the class username or password with anyone besides their teachers and parents and to never log in as another student.
- Students using registration-required websites are expected to treat this online space as a classroom space. Speech that is inappropriate for class is inappropriate online as well.
- Students who do not abide by these terms and conditions will lose their opportunity to participate in GOKiC activities.
IMAGE USE & MEDIA CONSENT AGREEMENT
By participating in Geeking Out Kids of Color (GOKiC) services, I agree to the following:
I consent to the GOKiC Image Use and Media Consent Policy. I grant permission to GOKiC to photograph and/or video and audio record my child, and of any works created as a program participant, for promotional, fundraising, marketing, educational, and other communications purposes and to publicize in digital and print form any photos/recordings of my child and their Materials without additional notification.
This grant remains in effect until revoked. Any such revocation would only be for materials not yet collected at the time of revocation. The rights granted to GOKiC in this release include the perpetual, exclusive,and unencumbered right to use, edit, reproduce, distribute, publish, and otherwise exhibit the photos/recordings worldwide, in any and all forms of media. In addition, the rights granted to GOKiC in this release include the right to use the photo/recordings to publicize and advertise GOKiC and/or its services.
No monetary compensation will be given for use of any photo/recording of my child. I agree to hold harmless and do hereby release GOKiC and its past, current, or future directors, employees, agents, representatives, affiliates, successors, and assigns from any and all claims, demands, and causes of action associated with this release and, including without limitation, any claims for libel of violation of any rights of publicity or privacy which I many have by reason of this release.
MEDIA OPT OUT
You have a right to opt out of inclusion of photographs/recordings, but unless you complete this form: GOKiC Participant Media Opt Out, participation in GOKiC activities implies permission for the images taken at those events. For program participants, Media Opt Outs are program specific and the Media Opt Out is only in effect for the program currently being registered for. If a student re-enrolls in the future, a new Media Opt Out form would be required for that specific programming.
We have read and agree to the above Student Rules and Expectations. I agree to honor the rules of the Geeking Out Kids of Color (GOKiC) program( General Student Expectations, Computer Use Rules above) while I am enrolled in GOKiC.
Please sign below.
I have reviewed all of the above information and I hereby give my permission for my child to participate in this activity. I approve the transportation plan as outlined. My signature reflects my knowledge of the details and the provided schedule. I will not hold the Geeking Out Kids of Color, or other partners and shareholders associated with the above listed program responsible for any injuries, damage, or personal loss incurred while participating in the field trip. I have discussed appropriate behavior with my child. STUDENTS CANNOT LEAVE PROGRAM WITHOUT PARENTS PERMISSION FOR ANY REASON. THE GOKIC SUMMER PROGRAM IS AN ADULT-SUPERVISED PROGRAM.
Please sign below.
By typing the parent/legal guardian name below, you are signing this application electronically. You agree that you are 18 years or older, the legal guardian of the student(s) mentioned before that are in this program, and your electronic signature is the legal equivalent of your manual signature on this form.