You will need a computer, phone, or tablet compatible with the video conferencing system, a webcam, and audio ability to connect to the platform. Using the video conferencing app will give the best experience, but you may be able to access the audio and video features needed using your web browser.
In addition, in order to avoid being overheard by anyone in your vicinity during teletherapy, it is important that you place yourself in a private room. It is your responsibility to create a confidential, comfortable, and safe environment on your end, while it is my responsibility to do the same on my end.
The teletherapy platform we will use meets privacy and confidentiality standards according to HIPAA requirements.
Risks and Rights of Telehealth Therapy Services
1. You have the right to withdraw from teletherapy services at any time. If you choose not to utilize teletherapy services it will not affect your right to further treatment in-person or to a referral to another clinician.
2.Teletherapy services may not be an appropriate treatment modality for every client and, at times, may even be counter-productive. I reserve the right as your mental health provider to determine if teletherapy sessions are not in your best interest. If this is determined, I will first offer you the option to switch to in-person sessions before offering you a referral to another clinician that can provide in- person therapy if/when deemed appropriate.
3. The same laws and policies, which are stated in the main disclosure form, in regards to regular psychotherapy, confidentiality, exceptions of confidentiality, etc., also apply to teletherapy services.
4. It is possible that a teletherapy session may be disrupted or distorted by unforeseen technical issues. If we are disconnected during a session due to a technological issue, please stay logged in or attempt to log back in so that we may reconnect and resume the session. If unable to reconnect for the session, I will call you via phone to troubleshoot or reschedule as necessary.
5. My cancellation and no-show policy remains the same for teletherapy services. Please provide me with as much notice as possible if rescheduling an appointment is necessary.
6. We agree that teletherapy is NOT designed for and will not be used as an emergency service.
7. Although all efforts are made to ensure high encryption and security in technology used, there is always a risk that transmission may be breached or accessed by unauthorized users. My private practices is not responsible or liable for such breaches. However, I will continue to monitor and work to ensure all risks to such breaches are limited, while safety precautions are observed.
8. You are responsible for making payments for teletherapy services that you participate just as they would be due for in-person sessions.
9. You will assume all of the foregoing risks and accept personal responsibility for confidentiality issues regarding teletherapy services and recuse my private practice from any liability if confidentiality is breached when these communications occur.
Teletherapy informed consent
I hereby consent to engage in telemedicine as part of my psychotherapy.