The APRIL "Lead On" Collaborative is a step-two leadership program sponsored by the Ford Foundation in which up to 20 youth and young adults with disabiltiies aged 15-30 get to build their leadership skills, make new friends, and work to become current and future leaders. Participants in the program can expect to make personal and professional connections with other people with disabilities, identify and build upon their strengths, learn about current issues in the Disability community, and how to make change in their lives and the lives of others.
The program consists of the following:
- A two-hour Zoom call once per week for six weeks, educating program participants on different areas of leadership through partnerships with experts in each area
- Zoom calls will take place on Thursday nights from August 24 - September 28, 2023 at 7:00 PM ET/6:00 PM CT/5:00 PM MT/4:00 PM PT.
- Participants "journaling" about their experiences and what they are learning in whatever form works best for them (such as writing, drawing, video, song, etc.).
- Attendance at the three-day APRIL Conference at the Hyatt Regency Orange County in Anaheim, CA from October 12-14, 2023.
- Participation in an 8-hour "Lead On" conference day, led by previous "Lead On" program graduates, focusing on goal development, peer connection, and group facilitation skills
- Facilitation of the APRIL Youth Conference round table discussions.
- Volunteering throughout the conference, performing duties as assigned.
- Participants will be invited to join a social group (Discord) to continue connecting with their fellow participants outside of weekly sessions.