The National Association of Black Physical Therapists (NABPT) and the Academy of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy (APTA Pelvic Health) have teamed up to create an exciting scholarship opportunity dedicated to increasing diversity in our profession to better meet the needs of our diverse communities. This initiative is specifically designed for physical therapists (PTs), physical therapist assistants (PTAs), and physical therapy students (SPTs) who identify as African American or Black and who are eager to expand their skill set and incorporate pelvic health expertise into their existing rehabilitation care.
Interested individuals will need to submit this application and upload a maximum 3-minute (ideally 60 seconds) video personal statement on their vision of the future of pelvic health regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Once you have applied, your application will be entered into a pool of applicants from which the NABPT and APTA Pelvic Health will select ONE (1) APPLICANT each quarter to receive the scholarship award. A total of 4 applicants will be selected each year. The pool is reset every January so if you applied in the past year, you will need to apply in the new year to be considered again.
Scholarship recipients will be able to register for either one of these two courses:
- Pelvic Health Physical Therapy Level 1 (PH1) Course - PH1 Webinar and PH1 Lab registrations or PH1 Combined course registration and a $200 Travel Stipend applicable toward travel expenses for the Lab course.
- Fundamental Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy (OBF) Course - OBF Webinar and OBF Lab course registrations and a $200 Travel Stipend applicable toward travel expenses for the Lab course.
- If applying as a STUDENT, you must be in your 2nd or 3rd year of school.
- If applying as a PT or PTA, you must be a practicing clinician in good standing.
- Identify as African American or Black, applicants of all genders are encouraged to apply.
- Complete this application in full and upload a maximum 3-minute (ideally 60 seconds) video personal statement on your vision of the future of pelvic health in regard to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
If You Are Selected to Receive a Scholarship:
- You will receive an email notification and will need to respond via email within 7 days of receiving the scholarship notice. Make sure you have the correct email address on your application.
- Confirm which courses you wish to attend so that the APTA Pelvic Health office can register you for the courses and provide you with course materials
- Write and submit one (1) blog post to the Academy within 30 days of accepting the scholarship using our blog submission form. This form includes examples of good blog post topics.
- After attending an in-person lab course, submit travel reimbursement receipts via this Scholarship Travel Expense Reimbursement Form for your $200 travel stipend reimbursement.
If You Are NOT Selected to Receive a Scholarship:
- Please note that you will NOT receive a notice. You will only receive an email notification if you have been selected.
- You do not have to reapply for the scholarship within the same calendar year during which you applied, your application will be entered into the pool of applications received for the respective calendar year. The pool is reset every January so if you applied in the past year, you will need to apply in the new year to be considered again.
By participating in this scholarship program, you agree to allow the Academy of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy (APTA Pelvic Health) and the National Association of Black Physical Therapists (NABPT) to post your photo, video entry, blog post, and scholarship announcement on its communication channels and to use these materials in future marketing and promotional materials.